Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #1

Silverleaf VMSpc

What are the thoughts on the Silverleaf VMSpc for a 2005 Freightlinner chassis Cat C7 engine. I have the 9 pin connection under the dash. Thanks

VMSpc | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have it and wouldn't leave home without it. I think if you did a search on your thread title you will find quite a bit of previously posted information.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I have it and wouldn't leave home without it. I think if you did a search on your thread title you will find quite a bit of previously posted information.
X2.

I love having access to all of the chassis bus information.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #4

I know the software is free but what is the cost of the VMSpc kit with hardware and cables. I don't see that listed. Thanks
Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It was close to $400 as I recall... but it's been a while.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
It was close to $400 as I recall... but it's been a while.

Rick
Here is the ssystem at Silverleaf VMSPC9 VMS To 9 Pin Diagnostic Port Complete Engine Monitoring

For $306, complete set of hardware and cables.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Was really wanting to try/use this software package, but when I read a little deeper, was disappointed. Now maybe I am not old skol enough, but what software now a days requires you to plug in your laptop while driving down the road to use?

IMO Silverleaf is really missing an opportunity here with this software. Not sure why they do not have bluetooth intergrated into their little black box that will sync up with a tablet/smart phone? Who wants to mount a laptop(netbook) on their dash. Pretty big fail IMO.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #8

I use it every trip...would not be without it!

As for the use of wires as opposed to Bluetooth, it's a non-issue for me. I have a spot on the dash where an old laptop permanently resides, and the wires are neatly tied down and almost invisible.

Rich & Linda
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Was really wanting to try/use this software package, but when I read a little deeper, was disappointed. Now maybe I am not old skol enough, but what software now a days requires you to plug in your laptop while driving down the road to use?

IMO Silverleaf is really missing an opportunity here with this software. Not sure why they do not have bluetooth intergrated into their little black box that will sync up with a tablet/smart phone? Who wants to mount a laptop(netbook) on their dash. Pretty big fail IMO.
Look at this on connecting the VMSpc to a Surface Pro. http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/
It indicates that wireless adapters are available for WiFi and Bluetooth for tablets and phones. Maybe someone can comment on this.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #10

Is the Pressure Pro the only TPMS system that works with Silverleaf.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Adon, that is for their "Coach System", totally different product.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
As for the use of wires as opposed to Bluetooth, it's a non-issue for me. I have a spot on the dash where an old laptop permanently resides, and the wires are neatly tied down and almost invisible.
Not really concerned about the wires, its the Keyboard that bothers me, and lack of being able to use a small tablet/phone.

Here is what we should have:DashBoss Overview (Long) - YouTube
About 3 minutes in, they show the use of a phone vs a tablet. For me, I mainly want EGT's, so other stuff is kind of worthless. This system is what most that I know use in their diesel pickup trucks.

Silverleaf is also kind of pimping the Surface tablet which uses Windows software. "Overall, I really like the Surface Pro. I own an iPad and two different Android pads, and the Surface is easily superior to them all. The only advantage the iPad has is battery life, but the Surface is faster and runs all the software I need to run. I also prefer the Surface form factor."

Problem is the Surface is the worst tablet ever made. Also, they are saying you need the Surface Pro, not the Surface RT. The Pro costs double what the RT costs, lol.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
DegoRed.....How long have you been running the SilverLeaf program in your rig? You have quite an opinion of the system and ALL of your information is WRONG. First, they do offer Bluetooth. Second, why would you want an engine monitoring system on a Smartphone???? The point of the system is have all of your engine information where you can see it. MANY people are using tablets for the program.

If you only want EGT's, buy a mechanical gauge. EGT's is of so little importance, Cummins doesn't even look at it with their engine computers.

For THOSE who actually have the SilverLeaf, you'll never hear a bad word about it. As others stated, I don't even move my coach unless my SilverLeaf is running. It will even help you get better fuel economy.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don, I called Silverleaf and asked them, they told me no, cant run it on a tablet. IF this is not that case, please advise. I want EGT's because I am running the TS Performance MP-8. Why I want in on my phone, simple, I already mount my phone in a a little holder deal on the dash, don't want to clutter my dash with more stuff (laptop).