Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #57

When I was driving a Ford 5 speed the RPMs would top out at 5300. I would turn off cruise control and climb a pass at around 4000 RPMs. Now that I have a 6 speed the RPMs top out at 4300 RPMs. I can allow cruise control to climb for me at around 4000 RPMs. But cruise control can drop out if it gets too far behind so I drive with my foot lightly on the gas.

The OP has not said if the coach he is looking at is a 5 speed or 6 speed. In 2016 manufacturers used up their supply of 5 speeds before switching to the 6 speed chassis in the middle of a production year. So a 2016 coach can be either a 5 speed or 6 speed.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #58

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Does that mean the front axle is faster than the rear axle? Maybe the front one diesel and the rear is gas?
More likely the other way around considering the front has a lower capacity than the rear.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
3000 RPMs is way below the V10s sweet spot.
Attachment 212356
Hi Twinboat.

The curve is where the two curved lines cross. that would be the max hp at the max torque. Any rpm's over that and one dosent keep up with the other.

That cross point would be much closer to the 3200rpm mark.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:30 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I doubt their motor problem had anything to do with speed or excessive RPM's since the V-10 is rev limited by the ECM.
Allot of folks make the mistake of letting the coach get going a bit too fast on the down side of the mountain and make the mistake of downshifting without bringing the speed of the coach down. Do that and you will wonder what happened to that rev limiter. IMHO 6200 is way too fast for rpms for any length of time.

Think about the piston going to the top of the cylinder and back down again 100 times in 1 second. Or the camshaft opening the valves fifty times in one second? Difficult to picture.

Not trying to argue here but when it is put in this prospective, valve float is not hard to imagine.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #61

Forest River Owners Club
I try to listen to my engine and drivetrain rergardless of what I’m driving in these situations. Ive always found a unit has a ‘sweet spot’ going up or going down and that seems like thing level and smooth out plus I’m not putting the spurs to my unit for little if no goin. I use the foot pedal to maintain at that rpm/speed Course, that sweet spot hs never been 100 mph so I’ve got a lot of leeway!
Old 07-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #62

Bob Holiday Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlferg2 View Post
My v10 in a35 footer towing a pt cruiser did 40 to 45 up teton pass. That is mostly 10 % grade. Passed several diesels.
Of course you did. The average diesel is probably 40 feet long and is double your weight. And they pull a full size vehicle. It's all in what you want.
SAVE7MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
A gas coach going up a 6% incline will average what speed? I've looked everywhere and see arguments, comparisons, but I just would like to know how slow is the gas coach.

We are looking at a 2016 Newmar Canyon Star 3914 gasser with the V-10. if the speed limit is 55mph are we looking at 45mph or 20mph. We will have the Banks power computer program installed but nothing else. Will be hauling a small toyota corolla. Any input is appreciated and I know, a diesel has no problems and worth the extra money. Thanks in advance.
learn how to anticipate your hills and just how much accelerator pedal you have to add to maintain just a little bit more than your target speed. If i'm diligent I can avoid those colossal 4000 rpm down shifts and gain a few litres an hour of consumption. My 8.1 Vortec cruises nicely @ 2200 and I rarely see 2700!! Now, if we're in the hilly twisties, then all bets are off!! But you probably aren't doing fifty either!
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #64

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So much concern about how fast you'll be going up a hill. That isn't even half the problem. Seriously.

Do you know how to get down the other side safely? I've never seen an emergency escape ramp on the uphill direction, only the downhill. You might be going slower down than up. Ain't that a gas? [emoji4]
Old 07-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #65

2017 Winnebago 29VE with F450

Just did South Dakota and obviously it depends how hard you want to push it. We have a 30 foot Winnebago that did between 45 and 55 up a 6% slope and about the same up a 7%. It pushes it but not a problem overall.
PCFriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #66

There are several factors that will determine how fast you'll make it up the hill.

1. How much are you rubber necking at the scenery or watching the road up ahead of you? If you're watching the scenery and not the road a long ways up ahead, you'll most likely hit the hill to slow. If it's a long hill, I'd be doing at least 60 even if the speed limit is 55. What speed you start up the bottom of the hill plays a large part in it. You'll drop back down to 55 and lower quick enough.

2. Look ahead to see what the traffic is. If you start up it doing 60 and there's some slow heavy trucks, is there going to be room to pass them? If not, then you're going to loose a gear or two and there's no way you'll pick them up again until you crest the top.

3. Some people with gassers don't like the sound of the high RPMs when they're pushing the engine hard on a hill and therefore they go up it slower than they need to.

4. It depends on how long the hill is.

5. It depends on ................................... .

Bill
Trackrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:18 PM   #67

Just go up the hill at watever speed the engine is happy. We have a2007 v10 19000 lbs and usually head uphill at 45 at 3200 or 3400 rpm. Engines a trannys are expensive so make them happy. Never in a rush.
Jimwsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:54 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2004 Sightseer, V/10 4 Speed Auto and running at about 3100 to 3200 RPM which is about 75 MPH I can keep the speed up for most hills before it downshifts to third and still will keep me above 55 MPH.
mazda2924x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
39.56 mph. +/- .02% (-:
no no no... I see what you did there, and your algorithm has an error. I re-ran the numbers and came up with 39.51 mph (you were WAY off at 39.56!), and I was able to reduce the margin of error to +/- .0157%. Close only counts in horseshoes back-in RV sites.
walt_embree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #70

That's like asking 'how long is a piece of string'. Answer depends on vehicle's actual weight, gearing and engine torque. When I had a 31XL Airbus, Ford V10 with Banks, I usually ran 45 mph on those grades.
StageCoachDr is offline   Reply With Quote