RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #1

Simpletire.com

Happy Friday All,

has anyone ever used this site? simpletire.com? apparently its the Amazon version for tires? Found some Michellin 255/80R-22.5 for $332.47 each. I am a little leery of this. Anyone used them yet??

thanks,
Ron

actionron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After reading the reviews nobody mentioned the date the tires were manufactured. That would be one of my concerns since RV tires usually get replaced by age instead of wear.

Their site doesn't say anything about the age of the tires either.

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

It's interesting to read their explanation on the FAQ page pertaining to DOT codes.

They do explain their "freshness" policy which sounds encouraging:

"Customers get the best prices because of our unique low-cost, high-volume business model. Instead of buying and reselling tires like other retailers, we use data and technology to aggregate tire inventory from more than 500 suppliers across the country. Therefore, we do not stockpile any tires in a warehouse and are unable to check specific tire DOT dates. We do instruct our suppliers to only supply our system with tires that have current DOT dates."

But then they go on to say when asked "Are the DOT codes on your tires current?":

"We instruct our suppliers to only supply us with tires that have current DOT dates. If you receive a tire with a DOT date of more than 4-years from the date of purchase, you may return it and we will pay the return shipping costs and waive the restocking fee. For any tires with a DOT date less than 4-years from date of purchase, you may return it, but you must pay the return shipping costs and restocking fee. Any tire that has been mounted is NOT eligible to be returned."

4-years??!! Jeez.

Yeah, I'd also like to hear from those who have ordered from them on how current the dates actually were.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I shopped locally for tires and a truck tire business told me that as long as the tire wasn't more than a year old, it was OK.

I'd really like to know how some folks get new tires that are 3 months, or less, old ???

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I shopped locally for tires and a truck tire business told me that as long as the tire wasn't more than a year old, it was OK.

I'd really like to know how some folks get new tires that are 3 months, or less, old ???
Well, I suppose as has been said on many of these RV forums, if purchasing locally from a tire dealer, specify up front that you will only purchase tires that are 3-months old or less.

What your tire dealer tells you and what you desire are two different things. If you desire tires that are 3-months old or less, then don't buy them unless they are. Sure, a tire that is one year old is "OK" according to your tire dealer but if that's not acceptable to you, then don't buy from that dealer unless they can supply you with what you want.

Personally, I'm okay with a tire that is within 6-months but, sure, I'd prefer one that is less than 3-months old.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #6

Ron,

I too am looking at buying Michelin 255/80R22.5 tires and also have seen the Simpletire.com listing. The prices are really good, the questions I have are: who are their associated installers? what's the total process to get the tires onto my coach. I have found that the 255/80R22.5 XRV tires are not very plentiful in tire shop inventory. A couple of shops told me they would need to order the tires from Michelin. My take away from the conversations is that the ordered tires should be fresh since no one seems to have any inventory let alone any "old" inventory.
I have tried to use the FMCA Michelin Advantage and not going so well. The listed dealers for the ABQ area are not very helpful with providing final cost to get the tires installed.

May be worth giving simpletire.com a call and get more information. Keep us posted on your decision.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I purchased 4 TOYO 245/75R-22.5 from them and they where about 3 months from DOT date. Fast shipping and great price.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #8
Decrepit Forum Advocate

GREGORYJ, that's good to hear. I hope that's the norm rather than the exception.

NMBluept, like Tire Rack, what I've been able to ascertain is you can have the tires shipped anywhere you'd like. Therefore, you can use one of their recommended installers or choose your own ...or, if you have to tools and the skills, I suppose you can have them shipped directly to you to install yourself.

You can go HERE to see their recommended installers. What I've found is that not all locations will be able to handle truck tires, however. Unlike Tire Rack's recommended installers, I don't see prices listed at each dealer listed such as installation charge, disposal fees, stems, balance, etc., etc.

If you choose your own installer, be sure to make prior arrangements with them before you have the tires shipped to their location. Probably best to lock down the price they will charge for installation and all other associated costs.

I'd be interested to hear from others who have used Simple Tire and what they did and where they went for installation ...and associated charges.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #9

Talked to a commercial tire company that services big rigs and diesel pushers frequently. Said with me taking them 4 brand new tires it would be 100.00 each for - dismount and mount/ balance and discard old tires.

not too bad

actionron is offline   Reply With Quote