Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 05:00 AM   #15

wait till it blows and you see what it does to fiberglass and aluminum not going on my mh
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 07:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
if you get a flat you got a flat if you have duallys youcan sometimes limp it in for repairs. think what your options are.
Flats happen on front tires also.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #17

I wonder if the blowout will go with a lot more force. I have a friend who just had his inside dual blow and he had 3K in fiberglass work to repair the damage.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #18

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
The trucking companies are now making a trend AWAY from the Super singles and going back to duals. Why? 1) The singles have a much larger single treaded footprint, almost like looking at a drag racing tire, thus more prone to hydroplaning on wet roads and floating on top of snow and mud thus loss of traction and control. Duals are narrower and are less likely to hydroplane and will dig into snow/mud. OTR drivers claim the number of accidents and mishaps from hydroplaning on wet roads have gone up substantially. 2) Drivers complain about the inability to limp a truck to have a flat repaired on the drives. Drivers complain about the sudden loss of control with a blowout at highway speeds. With duals, and one being flat, you can most likely get to a tire center rather than waiting for hours on a mobile service. You can't do this with super singles. OTR Drivers absolutely hate them. 3) The fuel mileage increases seem to be around .3 to .5 on average. If you drove 200,000+ miles a year I can see that as being a benefit to factor into your return on investment (ROI). Interestingly enough those independent drivers whom are paying their own fuel have mostly chosen not to convert to super singles. The general consensus is that the pro's do not outweight the con's.
I see that you are a real expert..... If they are trending AWAY from the super singles, I guess it is just all those that don't understand all these points that are making the Super singles so popular.... And it must be all those ill informed truckers that have driven up sales so dramatically, with future projections that are far surpassing the current trends... I guess time will tell...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Flats happen on front tires also.
If you have a flat on a front tire and you have dually's you can always move one of the dually's to the front and still limp in.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #20

It is easier to just carry one spare for any position.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
It is easier to just carry one spare for any position.

This is my thought.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #22

If you are a trucker, legal payload weight is profit. If your tare weight is less (by using super single tires) then you can earn more. If rolling resistance is less with super singles, you can save considerable fuel even with a fraction of one mpg. Team operated semis can run a quarter of a million miles a year. In some applications, super singles would be a wise choice. In a past life I was a trucker. Now I do not earn money with payload and I operate a small number of miles a year. For now I will keep my antique duals.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I like the thought of still having a tire if one of the duals blow.
The Spacecraft 5ver (actually a semi) toy hauler across from me at the campground has two axles with super singles. Rig is so big he upgraded from a small Freightliner to a bigger one just to haul it. He keeps a Mini and two bikes in the garage.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Somebody, please do this upgrade and report to us all. When we have a few hundred of them on RVs, we will be better educated, yes?

If they are on my next rig when I buy it, I will have it. I will let the virtue of patience rule, not speculation.
I volonteer you
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #25

I think the super singles are based on lots of miles to get your return in investment. The way the factories like to cut every corner using the lowest bids for every item in most of these coaches I don't see it happing.

I do like the idea but with the small amount of miles most coaches get put on them I don't see the benifits.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #26

Well just FYI I did see a tour bus with single jumbo tires (4) on the back in Fla this year, been wondering when somebody was going to do that, but the 100,000 coment kind of makes it no sence for an RV.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
I volonteer you
Please send the check! Sorry, but I just put 6 new michellins on the rear of mine.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
They look so cool, though.

They also had a 10k weight limit early on, so axle limits can be a concern for single rear axle MH's.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires