Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #1

Sirius Antenna Question

Looking at installing a Sirius radio on my Georgetown. I have looked and can find no "easy" way to mount the antenna and route the cable.

Anyone else done this? If so, how did you do it?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Easy 'Nuf

You didn't say where you wanted to install it but I'll assume it's in the dashboard of your rig.

The antenna itself can be glued in place just about anywhere on the roof and the wire usually goes down the 'A' pillar.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #3

I've got mine coming in through the driver side window
elang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We lay our antenna on the dashboard. I have put velcro spots to keep it from sliding around. Have done that with my cars' too. Have been a Sirius subscriber for...8 years? No problem if the antenna is not mounted externally.

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've had one mounted on the dash and on the roof (current). If your windshield is not sloped (mine isn't), you probably won't get a very good signal from the dash.
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7suz View Post
We lay our antenna on the dashboard. I have put velcro spots to keep it from sliding around. Have done that with my cars' too. Have been a Sirius subscriber for...8 years? No problem if the antenna is not mounted externally.

JoAnn
i did the same with my new Thor Daybreak. i hid the cabling along the trim of the windshield/dash. once in a great while i have erratic reception, but this is primarily when i'm in a heavily forested area (might do the same regardless of where the antenna is mounted.
gman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
mounted my on the dash and I agree once and a while its so so.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #8

We leave ours on the dash with no velcro or any attachments. It just sits there with no issues. The only time we lose a signal is in a very deep valley.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can run the cable up either "A" pillar (behind the plastic) and then mount it on top of one of your overhead cabinets. It will shoot through your roof, as long as you don't locate it under a metal framing beam. I found the metal framing in my front cap and placed the antenna on top of the frame. It has worked well for 6 years.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #10

Mounted mine to the roof on a glop on silicone. Once set up it never moves. Ran the wire into a hole the satellite wires came in through. Brought it through the tv compartment and over to the piller beside the windshield to the dash. Works great. Signal is excellent no matter where you are.

Joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
You can run the cable up either "A" pillar (behind the plastic) and then mount it on top of one of your overhead cabinets. It will shoot through your roof, as long as you don't locate it under a metal framing beam. I found the metal framing in my front cap and placed the antenna on top of the frame. It has worked well for 6 years.
X2 Very easy and Fiberglass is mostly transparent to the antenna.... Bonus ! no holes in roof!!
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
X2 Very easy and Fiberglass is mostly transparent to the antenna.... Bonus ! no holes in roof!!
X3. Stuck mine to the inside of the front fiberglass cap with double sided tape. 4 to 5 bars everywhere.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #13

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Think I will experiment with placement inside and see if I can achieve some of the same results. Really hope so, this would make it so much simpler than the roof.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This may sound like a stupid question but what awning do you have?

The old A&E Weatherpro power awnings there is a little "lighthouse" like thing up on the roof... Carefree had an 3-arm aeronomemter.

Now often in both cases this unit will be mounted DIRECTLY above the cabinet with the awning electroincs in it. Unlike my Batwing where the cable runs "in the cealing" for a ways, this drops straight down, You lift the lighthouse and you can see down into the compartment with the electronics.

From there you can usually figure out a path very easily. May end up with a couple inches of exposed cable, but not much.

And now you understand the question.

Tags
antenna