Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2014, 06:59 PM   #15

Any RV that has "set" that period I would want nothing to do with, unless you need a long term project and are willing to inspect and replace many items from the ground up Like brake cylinders, shoes drums pads rotors, shocks, hoses, anything rubber, etc etc the list is long and will be costly.
Far too many nice coaches out there for sale.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Our 1999 Tradewinds sat for about four years right before we bought it and I found no real ill effects. This was in New Mexico where it's very dry and for the most part critters aren't a major problem. You didn't say which model National you were looking at, but they were built well and hold up for many years with proper maintenance. You should be able to get the seller to forward copies of the maintenance records.

It's a given that after seven years you will need to replace the tires, so factor that in your price. Even if they look good they will be past the age to replace.

Here is a paper I wrote for a guy a while back. Some of it is about Tradewinds but a lot of it is generic.
I'd have a pro check it out for you. That would cost less than going there and finding out there are deal busters.

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?...=WordPdf&wdo=1

Good Luck
Dick
Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 PM   #17

brake calapers will lock up befor u get out of town . as said before fuel and fuel pump will need to be changed. after that belts and hoses. it is a big project
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My major concern would be the roof and water damage. If it was stored indoors or at least undercover, it would be a big plus. Tires and batteries for sure. Wouldn't be so concerned with belts and hoses. Gas is going to be an issue. Drain the tank and lines, put some fresh gas in. Squirt a little oil down the spark plug holes and fire it up. I would try to fire up the appliances after some cleanup but doubt there would be much problem there unless mice got to it. Brakes may or may not be an issue. Might be worth a flight out there if you can get a ticket cheap enough. See what you can do to get it up and running. A few hours should give you a pretty good idea of what will be needed and if your son is out there, he could facilitate the things you need to get done to get it home. Once home you can go through the rest and if your handy the rest wouldn't be bad. If the shell is sound it sounds like a fun project but thats me.