Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Sitting for 7 years

Hi Everyone,

I have the opportunity to purchase a 95 National RV 35' cheap, problem is its been sitting since 08 and I have only been able to see it through pictures taken by my son who is a go between (the RV is 1700 mi away). Ive asked him some basic questions (roof condition, miles, etc) but I'm not sure about other questions I should ask or concerns I should have. The final purchase would of course be face to face but how do I know if this is something I should pursue? Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

WindTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
There are so many things that need to be inspected. I would have your son read up on "what to look for in MH's" on this site and then have him do an overview on the MH to see if the list of what to look for checks out OK to his satisfaction before traveling the 1700 miles.

02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #3

After sitting that long, there are many things to consider.

- batteries will need to be replaced.
- tires will have to be replaced.
- UV Damage to the exterior if it was not covered. If it was covered, is there Moisture Damage due to lack of vents.
- Seals on things like the Toilet, Black/Grey dump valves are likely dried out and will need to be replaced.
- Generator has not been run. Depending on the climate, may have problems with the winding insulation. Expensive.
- Etc, Etc, Etc,

These are just a few off the top of my head that I would be concerned with. Unless this thing is REALLY Cheap, and you are prepared to spend a lot of time and money on it, I would walk away.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on how cheap and how handy you are at fixing things. you will spend more than you think in repairs unless you can DIY. How much is a 95 in good condition worth? Does that really give you much to spend on reconditioning this one?

In my opinion first you want to make sure it has not sustained any significant water damage or mold build up in the furniture carpet etc. Your son should be able to tell pretty much with his nose. Was it winterized before it was stored? Freeze damage is pretty extensive when it occurs. Plan on replacing tires and probably brakes. All fluids need to be checked and a good idea to replace. It needs to be done before it is started I would imagine. Batteries are expensive how many does it require. The list goes on but this is a start.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
is it stored inside or out? The roof and water leaks are a concerned but I would be very concerned about the motor be it gas or diesel sitting for 7 years. If it is not locked up (worse case) you would still do some damage firing it up after sitting that long. I would try to prime it first. The second thing may be the wiring if it is sitting where rodents or whatever could get to it. The roof and water leak stuff is going to be obvious. The generator may or may not be salvageable. It may need a complete brake over haul in order to move it.

If it runs and the plumbing, electrical are ok and the roof is not soft or unserviceable I would get it provided the price is right (dirt cheap) Be prepared to spend a few grand making road worthly. The other thing is if you can't do 80% of the work yourself than don't bother with it

Finally like everyone else said above hot batteries and new tires which can be $2000 plus.
2016 Jayflight 32 BHDS Fiberglass sides. Golf cart
06' Chevy CC Dually 6.0. 20k hitch NO w/d bars. 16" wheels & LT TIRES
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Without even seeing this unit I would suggest a search on the net for value. Then cut it in half. If the owner won't talk to you at that price, walk(or run) away.
That unit needs all new rubber, on the ground and in the engine bay. That just gets it rolling, then you can start on the appliances that need repair/replace.
"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
gas turns to laquer after a period of time, so replacing fuel lines, removing gas tank, any hoses prob have cracks, belts may break real soon, i would avoid this one.
Winnebago Owners Group ,Itasca 2000 DP
National Member of the Defenders Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club,PC Guru
wildmandmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
I guess thats what I thought but didn't want to admit it to myself, thats why I needed to get an unbiased opinion. You want something bad enough (too good to be true) and put on blinders.
WindTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
You got good counsel and made the right decision.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2. There is nothing to add to what has been posted. Spend a few bucks to have it checked out (automotive and coach). Depending on what you are going to use it for it make or may not be a good choice. Gut feel says it is a good fish camp cabin.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Only take it on if you are real handy. Another member here just bought a class A that had been in a shed for years in Tuscon, AZ. Dry, warm, right? He did all the right things and 15 minutes into the first trip across town it quit. Timing chain had jumped and a bunch of pushrods bent because intake valves were frozen. He repaired it and continued on, but he obviously has the skills to tackle such a project.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
Sitting outside for 7 years and it's 1,700 miles away? That's a lot of headaches just waiting to happen.

It is still a buyers market for used motor homes. You could find something on the net a LOT closer to home...and probably in better shape.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
Free just might be to cheap!!!!
How are you going to get it home without putting a lot of money into it?
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
The biggest problem is the distance away that it is. If this 100 miles, I think everyone would be saying go for it, if its cheap enough. The problem is the distance is so far away, if it breaks, you are in the middle of nowhere and at the mercy of some shop.

One other thing to try would be to search Uship.com for a private shipper who could haul it for you. Sometimes you can get someone who is just looking to cover their fuel cost on a back haul, so it might be reasonably priced.

'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD FMCA F298817
502 w/Howell/GM ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows, 4L85E 4 spd, KoniFSD
Daveinet is offline   Reply With Quote