Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Skid Wheels

My driveway and my 34' gulfstream sun voyager don't get along very well when trying to get in and out, the driveway is so steep I had to build some (pretty heavy) wooden ramps so that the rear of the unit doesn't scrape.

I am considering these...Ultra-Fab Skid Wheels for Class A RVs 34' and Longer - 6" Diameter - Qty 2 Ultra-Fab Products Motorhome Accessories UF48-979013

Anyone have the same/similar problem? Have you used these? Do they work?

Any advice is welcome

Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #2

If you already have the ramps, installing the skid wheels may not be enough to get you out of having to use them. Could be that the wheels would lift enough weight off the rear wheels that you lose traction and end up stuck, or hook onto the ramps and drag them around.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I find those are nice to have in the case of an emergency, but I would be concerned that I could tweak a frame that was not intended to support the rv :(

and those will give you 6 inches less ground clearance won't they ?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If you already have the ramps, installing the skid wheels may not be enough to get you out of having to use them. Could be that the wheels would lift enough weight off the rear wheels that you lose traction and end up stuck, or hook onto the ramps and drag them around.
Thanks for the reply Skip.

It's hard to explain but, I'll try. The ramps are made of 2x10 and are roughly 4feet long. They are in 2 layers and act as steps from the road to my driveway apron right at the gutter where the grade change between the road and my driveway is the greatest. With the ramps then I only *need* about 3 inches of "lift" to get the rear to clear without scraping. It only would scrape over that four foot length without them in place. I may be wrong, but I don't think these castors will get me so high up in the air that it would be a problem as you describe. Alas, I have been wrong before.

The ramps are just so damn heavy and frankly a PITA every time I want to get in or out of the driveway I am hoping these will solve the problem.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I find those are nice to have in the case of an emergency, but I would be concerned that I could tweak a frame that was not intended to support the rv :(

and those will give you 6 inches less ground clearance won't they ?
JBToo, thanks for the reply.

With them having to be bolted on, I don't think they are intended for an emergency. I think they are intended to be permanent. I have not seen any installation instructions yet in terms of where to put them to avoid damage but I am thinking (hoping?) someone out there has experience with them to help me make the decision.

Ground clearance isn't an issue for me on (somewhat) level grade, only in this sort of changing grade situation. In this case would increase my ground clearance when the skid rollers come into contact with the ground and prevent the motorhome from scrapping as I move into (or out of) the driveway. When bolted to the frame, I think it would only decrease my ground clearance by a few inches...there are other things that hang down lower than the mounting point of the castors but not lower than the bottom of the castors overall.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Then you might consider a modification to your driveway (if that's possible...)

Have seen grates across bad dips that still allowed the rainwater, etc... to get through...

You can get free estimates and advice from contractors that can do the work for you...

good luck to you and jealous I am since our curved drive and HOA forces us to have to pay storage off site .
Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Then you might consider a modification to your driveway (if that's possible...)

Have seen grates across bad dips that still allowed the rainwater, etc... to get through...

You can get free estimates and advice from contractors that can do the work for you...

good luck to you and jealous I am since our curved drive and HOA forces us to have to pay storage off site .
The problem with my driveway is where it meets the road. I can't leave anything out there as it is in the roadway. I would have to completely redo my driveway to make it work for the MH (read: $$$). DW would not be too happy.

I have off-site storage as well because we have a city bylaw that prohibits the parking of RVs in front of your home unless you are provisioning. Still need a way to get in and out of the driveway without killing my back in the process!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed a pair of the non swiveling casters on the back of my 36', for getting on and off ferries at low tide.
Cant tell you how well they work, cause they have never touched since I put them on about 3yrs ago .
Old 08-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ah, you're not trying to store it there - ok -- gotcha !
Well depends on your city ordinances, but a permanent solution could be left out there... maybe just discuss it with the city or a contractor and let him get the permits !

Another approach may be to widen the bottom of your driveway such that you can come in at an angle - say 45 degrees - thus lessening the abrupt approach to stop the bottoming out...

With out driveway I couldn't get to the house any way, shape, or form
I have to stop 90-100 feet away and we use the car as a transport vehicle down to the rv and back

load it up at the house, back up close to the rv, and unload... sometimes takes multiple trips, but we try to limit it and just wait until we get to our destination and run by wally world for 'stuff' ...
Old 08-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMEDPHYS View Post
My driveway and my 34' gulfstream sun voyager don't get along very well when trying to get in and out, the driveway is so steep I had to build some (pretty heavy) wooden ramps so that the rear of the unit doesn't scrape.

I am considering these...Ultra-Fab Skid Wheels for Class A RVs 34' and Longer - 6" Diameter - Qty 2 Ultra-Fab Products Motorhome Accessories UF48-979013

Anyone have the same/similar problem? Have you used these? Do they work?

Any advice is welcome

Jeff
My opinion: bad idea. Potentially really bad idea. The frame of your motorhome is probably not designed to support the weight of your chassis dangling beneath it. I would be really worried about stressing the house and causing problems with the structure, through repeated and regular use over time. None of the components (wheels, frame, chassis) are designed for this.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I wonder if air shocks would work?
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
My opinion: bad idea. Potentially really bad idea. The frame of your motorhome is probably not designed to support the weight of your chassis dangling beneath it. I would be really worried about stressing the house and causing problems with the structure, through repeated and regular use over time. None of the components (wheels, frame, chassis) are designed for this.
Thanks for the reply Ramblin.

I am worried about all of those issues however, as I said in a previous post, I am only looking for a few inches relief over a couple feet of pavement. I don't intend to drive these down the road or up steep or uneven grades for any great length of time or velocity.

They sell these for a reason. People buy them and use them. Hopefully someone here with real experience with similar will chime in to help me out.

Thanks again for your opinion. I appreciate your thoughts.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post

There's your answer JR !
never even thought about that and I had air bags on a previous tv that would raise it MORE than 6 inches ...
Old 08-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
RedWingNut:

Me too! I read on another thread someone considering it but he hasn't had much in terms of helpful advice in that regard either.

I have been reading about the AirLift kit and will probably give them a call to see if they recommend using them for this purpose.

Thanks for your reply.

PS...I'm a RedWingNut myself. I have it on pretty good authority that they are going to be real good this year. Love that they are back in the Eastern Conference where they belong. Going to be a great season! Go Wings!