Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 06:45 AM   #1

skylight in shower

We've purchased the items to fill the 2 ceiling fan vents but we want something to fill the skylight in the shower to keep the sun out of our Tiffin Allegro. Any homemade suggestions or ones to be purchased?
Thanks
lifesajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #2

We bought an pleated shade like the ones used on the windows and it works quite well. If we want it open, we can do that, but most of the time we leave it closed. We measured the opening, and ordered it through Camping World.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The previous owner of our Dynasty installed a simple pull down shade. Just pull it across the top of the shower and attach to Velcro. Works for us.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Howdy and welcome lifesajoy!

My "occasional" solution is not very good but it has worked reasonably well so far. When parked for a while and the sun is hot, I put a spare piece of windshield sun cover (like this) over my skylight. It makes a big different on the amount of heat inside the rig. Of course, it requires a trip up to the roof to put in place and to remove. At this point, I am using a very high-tech solution to hold it in place - four rocks sourced at the campsite. I'm hoping to never forget it is up there as I can see each of those four rocks falling into the windshield of my Jeep.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

We used to use an 2" insulated piece of material that my found and cut to shape. She sewed up the edges, and it was a neat job. She found two spring curtain rods that fit the opening, and those were used to hold the insulation in place.

We did this for about two years, and again, it really helped on both solar gain, and heat loss in cold areas, as well as noise from rain/hail.

Now I have installed four of our five Solar Panels on a raised rail, that span that part of the roof. The top of the solar panels are 2"below the AC cover height. We had pieces of sheet metal bent and attached to the roof in front/back of he raised racks, to help guide tree limbs up and over the rack. (Keeping them from getting caught under the track. Also I feel it's helped on noise from potential wind buffeting between the panels and the roof as we drive down the road at highway speeds.

We still get defused light in thru the skylight, and no heat gain, and quieter in the rain/hail. We did retain the insulation, and when temps drop down below 35, we put it back up to help on preserving heat.

So, go treat yourself to a solar panel system, and install it on raised track/rails. Tell the wife it was for her!!!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I cut a 3" peace of foam rubber to fit the hole. I made it about 3/4" biger tah it needed to be and it fits tight in the skylite.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Most of the heat gain in our shower skylight is just sunlight pouring in, so we fashioned a simple cover from white foam-core poster board and velcro sticky back tape. The white board surface is enough to reflect sun and the 1/4" foam core insulates a tiny bit. The flat cover goes under the bed mattress when not needed, and the velcro makes attach/detach easy enough.

I wanted to install a roll-up shade, but the layout made that awkward. The shower is 5-sided and there is wood decor on the ceiling that would get in the way. This board cover is less elegant, but simple and easy enough for the relatively rare occasional need. We only use it in extreme sun & heat.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
Community Administrator

We bought some beige blackout material and had Velcro sewn onto the edges and had the self adhesive side stuck onto the skylight . It worked very well and looked good too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439657728.540921.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	103415

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #9

skylight in shower

You guys are the greatest!! I always know I can rely on you for anything motor home and a quick reply. Your creativity is great. Keep any others coming. Thanks so much.
lifesajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=Smitty77;2698188]We used to use an 2" insulated piece of material that my found and cut to shape. She sewed up the edges, and it was a neat job. She found two spring curtain rods that fit the opening, and those were used to hold the insulation in place.

We also use the curtain rods and thick material but mostly in the winter to hold heat in side.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I use a thin curtain rod, rubber tipped stretched across the very top of door entrance to shower then attach a dark large pool towel to the rod with a couple of plastic clips...up and down easy and nothing extra needed...always have pool towels!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Thortogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, shower