Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
Originally Posted by freestyle_freddy View Post
We've been fulltiming for 6 years and put our sleep number bed in our New Horizons 5th wheel when we started. We love the bed but there is one major drawback to be aware of. If you will be travelling all around the country you will be going from sea level to as high as 11,000 feet altitude. If you set your sleep number at something like 50 when you're at or near sea level and then travel into the mountains at 6,000 or 8.000 feet you will blow up your mattress bladders. We found that out the hard way and a new bladder is around $500 each. So you need to stop and adjust your bladder pressure every time you go up about 2,000-3,000 ft in altitude. We keep our mattresses at about 60-75 and when we enter mountainous areas the numbers jump to 100 just from going up about 2,000 ft. And since the pressure number only goes to 100, you have no way of telling just how much pressure is being put on the bladder seams or how much the pressure has already gone beyond the 100 limit. We've learned to live with this minor inconvenience because we like the bed.

This is great advice! I never thought about it and my side is set to 85.

John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #16
Simple solution for the altitude changes, stay at the beach. Mountains are for goats and sheep anyway 😎. The floor of the storage under the bed is a false floor. I removed one of the carpeted panels and there is both 12v and 120v under there. I spliced into a 120v wire and put a box and plug in the storage area. I used a hole saw to route the air tubes up to the mattress. I ordered a regular queen and it does hang over a few inches more than the RV queen. It will scare you the first time you sit on the foot of the bed but I have learned to just sit all the way on the bed and not just the corner.

Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #17
Has any of you hade a problem with the remote batts going dead in a few days?
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #18
Mine are both hard wired.
Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #19
Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by littlebob View Post
Has any of you hade a problem with the remote batts going dead in a few days?
Could have been the age of the batteries.

Ours has been used for over a year and no issue with batteries but we put new ones we had in them and not the ones they gave us.
2001 Newmar Dutch Star DSDP3852
Me, Husband, Desi & Lucy [Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua mix]
We leave the feline contingent at home.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:49 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Love our Sleep Number bed. Have had it for 6 years and it's in our second coach with no issues. When traveling I keep the pressure number at 35 and have never had a problem. I live at 3000' and travel to the beach quite often and have been up Vail pass to the tunnels (10,000') on the way to Denver 4 or 5 times without issues.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote