Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #1

Sleep Number Bed install

Our son gave us their new sleep number bed because they didn't like it. Do we need to customize in order to install it or do we just use the bladder and cover. It has a platform that you can raise the head or foot.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 12:58 AM   #2

Ours came with a Sleep Number bed. It just uses the the bladder and the cover and it just sits on a piece of plywood that is hinged at the top to get at the storage under it.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One

Old 03-25-2016, 02:03 AM   #3

It helps to have 120v power under the platform but other than that just instal it on the existing platform. We love ours, after having one in the house for years it was a must in the MH.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
It helps to have 120v power under the platform but other than that just instal it on the existing platform. We love ours, after having one in the house for years it was a must in the MH.

Same here!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Same here.
I had to modify the platform from 'RV Queen' to standard queen, but that wasn't really a big deal.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Same here.
I had to modify the platform from 'RV Queen' to standard queen, but that wasn't really a big deal.

I just let mine hang over the end of the platform! Since my feet are the lightest part of me it doesn't present a problem!

Old 03-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I cut a little notch on both sides of the existing wood bed platform near tht head of the bed. I used the notch to run the air hose and the power cord on one side and the air hose on the other....you have to run the hose from the air unit up to the mattress - both sides if each side has it's own number system. I plug the unit into the plug at the base by the bed.

I put a piece of strap metal over the notch when done and the hoses in. That way when I lower the bed platform down, the platform doesn't pinch the hoses....the unit can't fill the bed if the hose is pinched!
Old 03-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #8

Warning!! One drawback to sleep number beds in RVs

We've been fulltiming for 6 years and put our sleep number bed in our New Horizons 5th wheel when we started. We love the bed but there is one major drawback to be aware of. If you will be travelling all around the country you will be going from sea level to as high as 11,000 feet altitude. If you set your sleep number at something like 50 when you're at or near sea level and then travel into the mountains at 6,000 or 8.000 feet you will blow up your mattress bladders. We found that out the hard way and a new bladder is around $500 each. So you need to stop and adjust your bladder pressure every time you go up about 2,000-3,000 ft in altitude. We keep our mattresses at about 60-75 and when we enter mountainous areas the numbers jump to 100 just from going up about 2,000 ft. And since the pressure number only goes to 100, you have no way of telling just how much pressure is being put on the bladder seams or how much the pressure has already gone beyond the 100 limit. We've learned to live with this minor inconvenience because we like the bed.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle_freddy View Post
We've been fulltiming for 6 years and put our sleep number bed in our New Horizons 5th wheel when we started. We love the bed but there is one major drawback to be aware of. If you will be travelling all around the country you will be going from sea level to as high as 11,000 feet altitude. If you set your sleep number at something like 50 when you're at or near sea level and then travel into the mountains at 6,000 or 8.000 feet you will blow up your mattress bladders. We found that out the hard way and a new bladder is around $500 each. So you need to stop and adjust your bladder pressure every time you go up about 2,000-3,000 ft in altitude. We keep our mattresses at about 60-75 and when we enter mountainous areas the numbers jump to 100 just from going up about 2,000 ft. And since the pressure number only goes to 100, you have no way of telling just how much pressure is being put on the bladder seams or how much the pressure has already gone beyond the 100 limit. We've learned to live with this minor inconvenience because we like the bed.
Great advice! I had never thought of that! We normally keep ours on 45-50.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyle_freddy View Post
Sounds like a good way to help avoid that is lower it closer to 10-15 and then check it as you go up in altitude.

We have one at home...are not full timing and can't yet justify the expense of one for our coach esp since we want to upgrade floor plans at some point in the future.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I just let mine hang over the end of the platform! Since my feet are the lightest part of me it doesn't present a problem!

I thought about that too, but I sometimes sit on the foot of the bed so I figured I'd do that at some point without thinking about. It probably wouldn't do anything other than just sag, but I had some plywood lying about just looking for something to do...
Old 03-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought the mattress for the RV, I bought a refurbished one direct from the factory at close to half the price of a new one. They come with all-new fabric so you won't be sleeping on one that someone else has used. The refurbished units are not available through the stores.

That's been several years ago, but I seem to remember that the warranty was the same as a new bed!

Old 03-25-2016, 04:47 PM   #13

We are not full-time either and are happy with the matress we have. Our son told us if we didn't take the matress they were going to take it to the dump. Since it was brand new and I have read fairly often about people putting sleep number in their coaches and how happy they were with it, I thought we would give it a try.

If inflation is an issue, can you deflate it somewhat for travel and then inflate it when you're stopped for the night? Or is that really a pain in the *ss?
Old 03-25-2016, 06:36 PM   #14

Inflation and deflation is all at a touch of a button.

Tags
install