Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Sleep Number Bed quandry. Need advise please.

Early spring we purchased new to us 07 Discovery. Rig has a Queen Sleep Number bed that has issues. The displays are missing digits and at times it seems confused as to what the pressure should be. Now the actual air mattress's appear to be air tight meaning they don't appear to be leaking down.

Now this is where it get's interesting...

Searching all Sleep Number posts it appers that most people called & and was able to replace the "module" for around $100. I go to the web site & chat with a CSR. He tells me a replacement "module" would be $250!!1
As we speak my wife is looking for a replacement queen.

I'd like to give the sleep number a 2nd chance but I'd HATE to drop $250 on this bed & Deb still not satisfied.

I might have to tear into the module myself & see if perhaps I can repair.... If not what are some of the other popular/comfortable Queen size motor home beds.

Will a standard bed work? I'm just afraid a standard bed would be too heavy to lift the bed when I get to the engine hatch.

Thanks All

mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have Sleep Number beds in our home and RV. Love them. Would not change over $250. My vote is give it a chance.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Call them and talk to human... lol. I'm pretty sure the price is related to warranty. Depending on what is left of your warranty - they prorate. We bought our coach used and they asked if from a dealer or individual. I said dealer which was true - but seemed to be the magic words. So that is probably part of the equation on warranty.

New pump and wireless digital controls - a little over 100 because we wanted 2 controls. They both control either side but we wanted to be able to adjust without asking the other for the control.

I would try again and use the phone. Let us know what happens.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The control box/pump for our Sleep Number burned out when we had an electric problem. Our insurance paid for the replacement but we ordered and did the work ourselves. I think at the time the new one was about $200 direct from Sleep Number.

Where Winnebago stuck the thing made it not so easy to do but the upside was the new unit is wireless while the old one had two wired controls the could have used a little more cord.

EDIT: We also called Sleep Number.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

If the remote is having problems showing the correct numbers, go to youtube and look up "sleep number remote repair". You have to heat the LCD function with a hair dryer, rub it some, and presto it works again. This happened to our remotes, I followed the instructions, and now 2 years later they are still displaying correctly. Only cost was time and took about 15 minutes.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Call them, do not volunteer you are the 2nd owner, only tell them your mattress has issues. I called, and they never asked if I was the original owner, so I did not volunteer I was not. Mine was doing the same thing yours is, and they sent me a new pump and remote for less than $100.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an inflatable bed in the RV i just bought and was told it was a sleep number, however, the controls for each side do not have displays, just inflate and deflate buttons. The bed works great and is very comfortable. Anyone know if this IS a sleep number (specially made for RV) or some other brand. It came from Newmar this way I believe.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Call them and talk to human... lol. I'm pretty sure the price is related to warranty. Depending on what is left of your warranty - they prorate. We bought our coach used and they asked if from a dealer or individual. I said dealer which was true - but seemed to be the magic words. So that is probably part of the equation on warranty.

New pump and wireless digital controls - a little over 100 because we wanted 2 controls. They both control either side but we wanted to be able to adjust without asking the other for the control.

I would try again and use the phone. Let us know what happens.
BINGO

Thanks for the suggestion! I called back, 1st C.S.R. asked for my name and tried to look me up in their system. I interruped him and reminded him that it was in a USED Motorhome that we had purchased early spring from a dealer.
The C.S.R. then told me that they have a "Special Department" for beds in motorhomes. He xferred me to the other department.

It appears the key word here on these older beds with the corded displays is "Missing Segments". As soon as I said it had missing segments she said that back when they where manufacturing those style beds they had some issues with some of the pumps.

She also stated that Fleetwood purchased\installed the beds so the warranty was slightly different than the standard warranty.

So, replacement cordless module will run around $99. ($10 shipping). If your looking for a 2nd remote expech to shell out another $48.00. We dicided one remote is enough. We will velcro between us somewhere.

Hope this helps other that where in my same position.

I'll have to take a look at the original module & see if it has any "user Servicable Parts" inside, if so I'll document & post some pictures of my findings.

Robert & Deb
Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
I have an inflatable bed in the RV i just bought and was told it was a sleep number, however, the controls for each side do not have displays, just inflate and deflate buttons. The bed works great and is very comfortable. Anyone know if this IS a sleep number (specially made for RV) or some other brand. It came from Newmar this way I believe.
Don

Can you get to the pump & see if their are any ID tags or such? I can't find any info on the sleep number site related to remotes w/o display. What year is that coach?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post

BINGO

Thanks for the suggestion! I called back, 1st C.S.R. asked for my name and tried to look me up in their system. I interruped him and reminded him that it was in a USED Motorhome that we had purchased early spring from a dealer.
The C.S.R. then told me that they have a "Special Department" for beds in motorhomes. He xferred me to the other department.

It appears the key word here on these older beds with the corded displays is "Missing Segments". As soon as I said it had missing segments she said that back when they where manufacturing those style beds they had some issues with some of the pumps.

She also stated that Fleetwood purchased\installed the beds so the warranty was slightly different than the standard warranty.

So, replacement cordless module will run around $99. ($10 shipping). If your looking for a 2nd remote expech to shell out another $48.00. We dicided one remote is enough. We will velcro between us somewhere.

Hope this helps other that where in my same position.

I'll have to take a look at the original module & see if it has any "user Servicable Parts" inside, if so I'll document & post some pictures of my findings.

Robert & Deb
Woot! Woot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1424280350743.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	86389  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
One caution here. Don't ever tell them if you have worked on the bed in any way, such as taking the control apart! They will immediately tell you that voids ALL warranty! Don't ask me how I know that!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
One caution here. Don't ever tell them if you have worked on the bed in any way, such as taking the control apart! They will immediately tell you that voids ALL warranty! Don't ask me how I know that!
Hmmmmm VERY good point!
Old 02-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
If your air bladders are still good and your only issue is reading the controller settings, and that limits your ability to use the feature, keep the bed as a foundation for a topper.

Add a 3" thick, 4 pound memory foam pad from Costco and have the best of both worlds.

http://www.costco.com/Comfort-Revolu...100012518.html

Memory Foam toppers only need a foundation whether it is a box spring, a wood platform, an 8" layer of foam, or your inflated air bladders.

Tempurpedic charges thousands of dollars for a Memory Foam topper and a large foam base.

Costco charges about $200 for the topper.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Early spring we purchased new to us 07 Discovery. Rig has a Queen Sleep Number bed that has issues. The displays are missing digits and at times it seems confused as to what the pressure should be. Now the actual air mattress's appear to be air tight meaning they don't appear to be leaking down.

Now this is where it get's interesting...

Searching all Sleep Number posts it appers that most people called & and was able to replace the "module" for around $100. I go to the web site & chat with a CSR. He tells me a replacement "module" would be $250!!1
As we speak my wife is looking for a replacement queen.

I'd like to give the sleep number a 2nd chance but I'd HATE to drop $250 on this bed & Deb still not satisfied.

I might have to tear into the module myself & see if perhaps I can repair.... If not what are some of the other popular/comfortable Queen size motor home beds.

Will a standard bed work? I'm just afraid a standard bed would be too heavy to lift the bed when I get to the engine hatch.

Thanks All
Been using Sleep Number for the past 10+ years in both the S & B and our RVs (2nd one) and would not change it for any thing! Love them for sure!

04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote