Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Good idea for later in life but in general our 4 kids are fun to travel with!
I got to agree, them were the best days of our lives. Our kids are now 35 and 31 and 25 and 22. Life goes on and you can never go back! Live like there's no tomorrow!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #16

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I got to agree, them were the best days of our lives. Our kids are now 35 and 31 and 25 and 22. Life goes on and you can never go back! Live like there's no tomorrow!
They actually never get along better than when we are RVing. They may complain at times but I also hear them talk about the trips all the time. If we don't go for a month I start to hear when are we RVing? I know they will look back at these family times as priceless.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #17

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldMarine View Post
Look for a class A with a dinette, a flip sofa and a queen master. That's what I have but I took out the dinette because I don't want to sleep more than 4 at a time!
Maybe I need to rethink "needing" bunks or a cab over and start measuring these spots (dinette especially). I have written them off because they are usually too small to sleep 2 (especially the dinette) but many sofas are big enough. I also do not like "short" queens, my feet hang off! In my next rig I want a real queen (apologies to the DW).
Old 03-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wish that was totally true!!
When my step daughter died we "inherited" 3 cats and two grandkids. That was about 4½ years ago. One grandson moved out and two of the cats have died. The other grandson is 13 and really doesn't like going with us, but not much of any place to leave him, too young to stay at home by himself too. We tried that with his mother when she was about 16. We went away for the weekend, dropped her off at some friends about 30 miles away. Turned out they immediately want back to the house and had a 3 day party while we were away. Found the bongs, beer cans and damage when we got home.
Yup ... but you can't blame the cats
Old 03-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Personally, I don't like having to make / take down the dinette and sofa every morning and night so don't really like using those except on rare occasions.

I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to retrofit a drop-down bunk in the front of a class A but it's probably not trivial as most class As have the TV and cabinets there so all that will need to be remodeled.

While the vast majority of RVers do fit the 6/4/2 mold, there's still a significant number that are looking for more sleeping options so the dropdowns and bunks are becoming more available. Unfortunately, it's only fairly recent so in the used market, there's still not that many option.

If you are looking for something older to convert, the best option is probably to look for something with a large side or rear closet that you can install bunks in (that's what I plan on doing in ours in the spring). Converting a closet is certainly a lot easier than redesigning the front to have a drop-down bed.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
my buddy used to say when we all went camping together, BYORV. bring your own RV. I commend these folks that tavel with a MoHo full of people.
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTN View Post
Good idea for later in life but in general our 4 kids are fun to travel with!
Have you considered letting the older kids sleep in a tent? Growing up camping in a pop-up (my grandfather, my parents and three kids), my younger brother and I slept in a tent - we felt SO grown up- while my baby brother slept in the camper with the adults. Of course we were 14 and 12, and I'm not sure how old yours are.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Just a note on the tent thing:
I know over here where we are at they cannot allow tents to be in the RV spaces, the health department says no cause of the hookups for sewers right there. So if anyone in an RV wants to put a tent up they have to then get not only an RV spot but also a tent spot which almost doubles the price for the night for people.
Not sure if other areas of the country would have different rules I just know the ones for here right now.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #23

Camp in a tent, ha! Heck, my 13 & 11 yr olds want their own rpod to be towed behind the MH! (Ain't gonna happen).
Mrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Blondie View Post

Have you considered letting the older kids sleep in a tent? Growing up camping in a pop-up (my grandfather, my parents and three kids), my younger brother and I slept in a tent - we felt SO grown up- while my baby brother slept in the camper with the adults. Of course we were 14 and 12, and I'm not sure how old yours are.

Got a pup tent in 1961. Used it myself until married, then it was 2 in the pup.
Got a pop up. Kids prefered the pup.
Then, MHs. Then Grandkids. Yep, the pup. Flashlights included.
Still going after 52 years!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote