Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-02-2015, 04:51 AM   #1
Slide awning filling with water

My new Excursion has 2 slides. Each has its own awning to keep junk off the top of the slide and provide shade. On our last trip I was retracting the main slide and was shocked when I saw a wall of water falling across the slide window. At first, I thought I had gotten the freshwater hose jammed in the slide and had cut it. But after running out there I realized there must have been a big puddle of water standing there from the previous nights rainstorm. I guess this is normal? After having a main awning collapse once from being filled by water I usually retract the awning when I expect rain or will not be at the RV for an extended period of time. Obviously I can't retract the slide awning without retracting the slide. Has anyone had a problem with rain filling slide awnings and causing damage?

2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:26 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having water on top of the slide unit even with toppers is somewhat normal. The toppers stop the water falling straight down, but not the rain that is blown in from the side. I found this out the first time we started driving after some high winds and rain. The main slide unit behind the drivers seat must have had 1/2 to 1 gallon of rain water on it. The first stop drained it right down my back. We now place towels at both top ends of the slide when we first retract them is it has been raining. Just make sure to remove them before using the slides.

rgmiller32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
I believe you're talking Bout rain on your slide awning as opposed to rain on the roof of the slide. However the towel idea is great. A dousing of water during brake application could not ever be a good thing. Dunno how to keep rain from puddling on the slide awning, but it seems, other than puddling, your toppers are doing a great job.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mostly normal, It happened on my 5er and now on my MH. Just be careful when sliding in the slide to make sure no one is standing out side. they WILL bet wet. Towel is also a good idea but your slide seal should squeegee most of if not all of the water off as you retract your slide.
Charlie & Diane Amato
2014 Thor Tuscany 40XE XTE DP
Ferndale, Arkansas
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
From my experience, the build up of rain water on the slide toppers and waterfall down the outside of the slide when retracting it is normal. This has never caused any type of damage for us. You can try to minimize this by manipulating the level of your coach before retracting, to try to lean the coach in a direction that the water will drain off. This can help not only drain the water that is on the topper, but also the water that has blown in and is on the top of the slide itself.

The main damage threat to the slide toppers would be high wind. For this reason, it is recommended to retract the slides during severe weather. For me, giving up a bit of comfort during the storm is worth not having to deal with any damage afterwords.

Hope this helps.
Chris and Jenny
Pottsboro, TX
2008 Itasca Sunova 35J
Miller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours did that all the time.

Easy way to handle is this.

Before you retract the slide, just reach up there with an awning tool and lift the center of one end, it will start water streaming off the other end.

Another way is to manually lower your rear jacks a little to create a tilt.

If you have a HEEAVY rain storm, expect there to be water on top of the slide. Once retracted, reach up on each end with a towel and check. Any water on the slide will roll right off (inside) when you take off the first time. Don't ask me how I know

Generally if this happens, it's easy to clean, just drop a couple towels there.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
Has anyone had a problem with rain filling slide awnings...

...and causing damage?

It's quite normal. If there has been a heavy rain, I start to bring in the slide and listen: if I start to hear water draining off of the slide topper, I stop and let it drain. Usually one time stopping is enough, but some times it takes a couple times. Letting it drain slowly helps prevent the water from going everywhere (including in the coach!)

Some people put long elastic cords down the center the slide topper and bring them down the sides of the slide. The idea is to get the center of the fabric ends to bend down and help drain.

Others will put beach balls between the slide and topper, raising the center of the topper to prevent puddling. One company makes long inflatable pillows for exactly that purpose.

I don't do either: it's too much work to climb up to install/remove them, and the puddles that collect on them don't do any real harm. The one and only time the puddle was an annoyance was when they froze the morning we were breaking camp, and I had to climb up on the roof and break up and remove the sheets of ice that were preventing the toppers from rolling up. Other than that one time, I just don't worry about it.

Adam and Sue, and a pack of little furballs
2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ Limited Edition - Cummins ISL 400
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad - USGear Unified Tow Brake, Roadmaster Blackhawk II Tow bar, Blue Ox baseplate
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

awning, slide, water