Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slide came in while raining...water also ?

I can see a white rubber flap or seal hanging down, apparently to sweep water off the slide while it is retracting. Can also see a gap to daylight. Pretty sure this is part of the problem. I can't fix it and will take it into a RV shop.

There is a slide topper/awning that hangs over each edge about a foot and should keep rain from coming in sideways and accumulating on the extended slide roof. Guess it could have pooched down from the weight of the water and dribbled inward (?). If so, does it need adjusting/tightening? It rained hard for two days.

No holes in topper/awning that I can see.

Is the white flap meant to sweep debris only, off the slide ? Or should it also fit tighter and sweep water?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #2

Don't know about the white flap but many owners have those foam insulators for copper pipe they slip under the awning when the slide is out and it's raining. Holds it up so water won't pool.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Something is wrong. Slide toppers are not always standard equipment, in fact they are mostly to keep trash off the slide. The slideout should be water tight on its own.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We had a similar problem camping in TN. Was raining hard... sideways and the rain was leaking past the seals. Ours seals fit pretty well, but still came in. I decided to bring in the slide and we got a lot of water inside the first half of retraction. I then brought it in the rest of the way in 4-5 inch increments. This helped to allow the water time to run off the top of the slide rather than coming into the coach....just like the owners manual says to during times of hard rain or when standing(pooling) water is present... That slide never leaked again. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We have the same experience if the wind blows rain under topper. We inspect the slide top after retraction to verify water, if it is, we place bath towels on top of slide. It is good idea to place a Post A Note on the slide controls to identify the towels are in place.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If u know ahead of time that its gonna storm bad, get the slides in b4 it does. If u don't, just leave the slides out and cross yer fingers
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #7

The awnings over the slides are just that.They keep the slide section cool clean.Heavy rain will pool on them.Best to bring the slide in when it starts raining.To tighten the canvas will only cause more problems.Good idea to put some pvc or other lift under the awning to get excess water to run off.I have had my slide in and out many times when it rains.Still comes in and out.Costs nothing
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #8

That seal is what's called a "blade seal", a finger of elastomer sticking up in the aperture in the sidewall where the slide goes in. They often roll over along part of their length because the friction between the seal and the slide-out is too much for the seal structure.

We had that problem on our rig, on the dining room slide, and I ended up building a replacement set of cabinets due to a mold infestation in the el-cheapo hemlock subframes.

What I plan to do here-on out, is to spray a molybdenum dry-lube onto the top of the slide ceiling every few months. This should ensure that the friction foces against the blade seal are less than those needed to roll it over.

I have a similar problem on the bottom seal of the bedroom slide, but that seal is only keeping critters out. I'll use the same spray on there, too, once I've got the seal back into place. I had professional repair on the LR slide.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And I know it as the "Wiper Seal." Its primary purpose is to wipe water off the sides of the slide when you pull it in. It will serve a little protection from rain, but the inner seal where the slide comes in contact with the wall is the primary seal when the slide is out. If you look at the outside edge of the slide there is another primary seal for when the slide is retracted.

As for water, yes it is possible if you retract your slide to quickly, or if you are really level and water has made it under the topper.

On my coach it states to raise one side to allow water run-off. So I give it a bump or tow, and just an inch will allow the water to run off the slide. I typically bump the right side up since that is the heavier slide and I would rather have it coming in on a downward motion than trying to bring it upward.

I use 303 protectant on the seals, including wiper seal.

When you have extended, you can take the awing tool and gently run it up between the wiper seal and the slide side (gently) and make the seal come out flat. However I have not noticed any difference with it folded in a little or flat out.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After chatting with RV owners, it seems the best thing to do if it is raining, is retract the slide. Gee, why did I not think of that. Don't answer !

If water does collect on the slide when extended, raise the jacks on the opposite side and let the water drain down and off.

Also, with the slide extended, and jacks retracted, start engine and go forward a foot or so and brake. Then into reverse and go back a foot or so and brake, (I have not yet done this. Has anyone) ????
Old 05-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can't use the brake method as my jacks are down when my slides move in or out, according to my manual. As stated my manual says raise one side with the jacks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #12

Simple to close the slides, if you know it will be coming down. But, if parked for an extended period, and with some rigs, not having the slides out is a PITA!

The slide awning topper is as mentioned, a shade and keep the top of the slide cleaner protection. Rain, in the winds especially, will get under the topper. And, as the toppers get older, they will allow more and more water to leak thru.

Slide awning toppers come from different providers. I know on ours, the older Carefree Omega II system, with the combo awning topper, and then window awning all in one roll, that by extending the window awning it helps keep the awning topper a bit more tight.

Concur with the put something under it input. The foam pipe insulation is as good as any. One gent I read, also likes the smaller space taker of an inflatable raft. The kind you lay on top of in the pool. He blows them up, and has used them in rain and snow situations.

On the seal, you should not see daylight, so yep that needs some maintenance.

On maintenance in general. Keeping the top of your slide cleaned and waxed will help on how the slides and seals interact with each other. You can get in under the topper with a swifter and use a micro fiber towel attached to the swifter. I use one micro fiber towel to clean, then go back over the full top with an application of Eagle One Nano Wax, wipe on and walk away.

On the seals, 303, and other sprays are part of my normal maintenance. I spray onto a cotton cloth, and wipe down the seals. Sliding your fingers under the lip of the seal flap, with the cloth, and you can get the surface of the flap that contacts the sides and top.

One other thing, is after you clean your awing top, and awnings in general, with soap and water. Is to spray the canvas with a water repellent. I use 303 for this. Once the canvas is dry form your cleaning, spray the 303 repellent on soaking the canvas, let it dry, and you are good to go for another year. (I admit, I only do this maintenance item once a year.)

When the toppers or awnings get older, and need to be replaced. Research and get some of the materials that have the vinyl impregnated materials. A gent, Scott, on the Country Coach Yahoo board, has had good luck so far with his. (Can't recall the name of the material - sorry.)

Best of luck, and have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our slides have never leaked when fully in, or out, but retracting the slides after it's rained, or even a heavy dew, and you'll get a shower.

"Modern" slides not only go out and back in, but they also will drop 4 or 5" to get that flat floor everyone wants. The wiper seal dosen't touch the roof for much of it's travel.

The only solution I've come up with is to manually raise one end or the other of the coach using the jacks before I bring the slides in.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We live in the great Northwet and have never had a problem with the slide leaking, either in or out or while retracting. Guess a lot of it depends on the design and construction of your rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide