Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Slide covers and wind

We are sitting on the Oregon Coast right now looking at 40 to 60 mph. winds.
When do you pull in the slides to keep from tearing them????
Things are rocking and rolling
The wind is comming from the southwest so I pulled the slides in on that side.
Am I overreacting
Larry and Rita
2006 Holiday Rambler 40 foot class A-4 slides

Don't pray for a blessing--Pray to be a blessing.
2006 Holiday Rambler Endavor 40 footer
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think I might pull the windward side ones in like you did, although I've never lost one in a wind storm.

Some years ago we were in Newport at that fancy MH only park there, a storm came in and our poor little 29' Type C MH felt like it was about to be blown over in the 75 mph winds. Next morning I went to take the dogs out and found our spot was also the parks low spot. I think it was deeper than my boots were high!

Hope to see you in the spring if we can get Cindy healthy. Still no word on the pill camera test she did a week ago last Friday. Hopefully more tomorrow.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Let me guess - Florence? Of course much of Oregon coast is windy. We are from Oregon now in Arizona. I love Oregon but not that coastal wind! Good luck - and hang on tight! .
2000 Monaco LaPalma
our house stays the same only the yard changes
frazierdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
I lived in Lincoln city the winds are about 40-60 mph tonight ad only gonna get worse I would pull ur slides in for the evening. Me and my wife now live in Kennewick Washington luckily we won't get the winds til tomorrow.
Oceans12333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rule of thumb for me: If I am going to worry about it or if the flapping is going to keep me awake then I put them in before I go to bed rather than be awakened to do it later. Also you cannot go wrong putting your slides in; just my humble O.

Good luck
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
We were in Oklahoma this past week and put in slides when high winds came thru and also raised the jacks to lower the motorhome.
2002 Dutchstar, Spartan Chassis, 350 Cummins, 2012 Explorer.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Several years back while staying near Sacramento a storm moved in and I had one of my front slide toppers balloon out like a parachute. I had a mobile tech come out to fix it in the middle of the storm but now I'll pull slides in in winds >40 mph.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Tiffin Owners Club
Anytime it worries us or bothers us, we put the slides in. Especially at night so you can get some sleep. Did that last summer in Kansas because the wind was so bad day and that night. Was in a class C at that time.
USAF Retired
2012 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32CA
2012 Equinox LTZ, RVI Brake System
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
My policy is when in doubt pull the slides in. Much easire and less expensive than having to mess with storm damage.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Poptop View Post
My policy is when in doubt pull the slides in. Much easire and less expensive than having to mess with storm damage.
Same here. If I even start to think about pullilng them in, that's the time to do it.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a solution for the earlier slide toppers that are not encased such as the newer ones. In Parker, AZ, there is a guy with an Adventurer that developed some wind deflectors under the slide toppers that he says works. The problem with the wind is, when the wind is directed at the slide the wind gets up underneath the topper and billows it and flaps unmercifully.

What he did is buy lengths of plastic rain gutter material at Lowe's and saw it in half on the bottom. This gives your two semi-"L" pieces. He then painted them the same color as his slides and screwed them into the slide with the top just below the slide material when retracted. This action prevents the majority of the wind from getting underneath the leading edge of the slide and billowing it causing the flapping.

I see him every year we are there and last year I decided to do the same. So I bought the same gutter material, cut it, and it still sits in my garage. I, somehow, never got the time this summer to get the paint, paint them and install them. Now, I am heading to AZ in Jan and I still have not finished the project. I know I will get down there, see that guy again, and tell DW "Da___t Sue, this year when we get home I am doing that!". We'll see, at least this year I have them cut and made, just need to paint them and install them.
Barry & Sue Miller(extended RVer's, 6 mos + per/year)
04 Journey 39K, C-7, 330 hp, towing: 02 Dakota 4X or 2013 Ford Edge, Aero 5050XL
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We are sitting here in Salem, Oregon and thought our toppers would blow off last night! Lived in Lincoln City for 3 years. It can be a mess out there for sure. Now they say we might get some snow flakes out of the storm.
"It is what it is...forward ho!

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BXS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
A road trip to boiler bay would be interesting, I bet the waves are huge. Be safe, Alan and Linda

Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote