Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #1

Slide Etiquette

This is our first MH with slides. What is or isn't acceptable when stopping for the night (Flying J, Wal-Mart etc..). We have a pull out bed in front, for the grandbabies when they're with us, but there is not enough room to open it unless at least 1 slide is out. We recently took them to Disney from NY and this posed a problem we hadn't anticipated. I don't want to anger any one. Help!

Nana Ooch
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
slides

I guess I don't know what the proper etiquitte is, (I don't think there is a book out on it) but we usually put down our jacks, and then only put out the slides on one side. usually on the side that will not bother much. We have not had anyone tell us that we are doing wrong, so just assume that it is ok.
doublej1808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gunnersmom,
When at Wal-Mart and you are parked out of the way, jacks down and slides out is okay. Just make sure there is absolutely no way anyone can run into the slide(s). When in doubt, don't deploy the slide.

At the Pilot/J or any truck stop, slides out is a bad idea. The spaces are narrow and trucks take a lot of room to maneuver. Especially when they are backing into a spot.

The same goes for a rest area. If the slide can be safely extended where no cars or people can run into the slide, then go for it.

The thing to remember is in the above mentioned places, people are not accustomed to moving around open slides. It will be real easy to have an accident.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
When stopped at a truck stop etc I extend our bed slide which is on the curb side out about 4 inches or about the same as the slide arms but not as far as the mirrors. It frees up the foot of the bed instead of be snug against the closets. If I am next to a curb or the edge of parking I will put it all the way out. I also put the jacks down for stability.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

At roadside rest areas if I can park at an end spot or out of the way against a curb then I will let out a slide. Will never let one out in a Flying J RV parking area or in the back in the truck rest area. Some of those trucks pull in real fast. At night they would probably never know your slide was out until they hit it and that would ruin your MH and your night's sleep. At WalMart I have to park long ways across a lot of spots and I try and do that around the back and can usually find a private area. I still like to park next to a curb and let the slides out just on that side. If the only place is in the main lot then I still try and find a area that is out of the way and will put the slides out on one side. I carry orange cones and will put them out around the slides. Most cars would not hit the slides because they are high. Not so with a pickup truck. I try not to park in what is the main stream used by cars cutting across a parking lot. I am am amazed how fast some people cut through a parking lot.

Hey Gary I have nearly knocked myself out walking into my slides. On the mirrors I hang bright oringe ribbons so I don't damage the mirrors with my head.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We don't put out slides or lower jacks, but then that's just us. We can easily maneuver in our coach with the slides in & I just don't trust them getting whacked if out in any of those places. As for the jacks, since we're only at those stops for a quick snooze before moving on, we don't care if the coach rocks abit.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
When stopped at a truck stop etc I extend our bed slide which is on the curb side out about 4 inches or about the same as the slide arms but not as far as the mirrors. It frees up the foot of the bed instead of be snug against the closets. If I am next to a curb or the edge of parking I will put it all the way out. I also put the jacks down for stability.
Dosn't that leave a big space with the slide not open full to seal in the full open position. Our slides need to be open or closed full to seal.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnersmom View Post
This is our first MH with slides. What is or isn't acceptable when stopping for the night (Flying J, Wal-Mart etc..). We have a pull out bed in front, for the grandbabies when they're with us, but there is not enough room to open it unless at least 1 slide is out. We recently took them to Disney from NY and this posed a problem we hadn't anticipated. I don't want to anger any one. Help!

Nana Ooch
Welcome to the site. You need to check the Walmart parking thread when you have a few hrs to read it.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The 4 inches is just enough distance to allow the rubber seals to have changed direction. If I was in a rain storm I would not extend them as I might get a leak someplace else.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #10

As you see, logic rules when stopping overnight at a public parking lot. Jacks will, on a hot evening, ruin the blacktop. RV resorts demand you use large pads/ wood planks under your jacks for this reason. We, as responsible RVers carry this over to any place we park on blacktop.
Our slides must be opened to access the living room and kitchen, We find a parking spot that will allow such behavior without inconveniencing anyone or risk damage to our RV. We have on occasion, parked in an empty church parking lot when other places are not accessible.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mike,
Most people think slides are for providing more interior room. For me, slides have put enough bumps on my head and scars on my back, the wife says I must wear a shirt at all times. My back looks like I've been flogged. As to the head injuries, I use that as an excuse when I do not understand what she is saying.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #12

Talking

Thanks for the responses! We bought this one because we plan on FT in the very near future. It is perfect for two. (and a dog, he doesn't need a bed) selfishly forgetting how much the kids like to travel with us. This one has a love seat size couch and 2 euro recliners across from it. The couch pulls out to a queen size air mattress bed and there is no way, even if I move the recliners, I can open it. We don't have the dinette booth so there's no sleeping there either. Wish we had gotten the floor plan with the bunks. At the flying J RV area I pulled up to an island and put the curb slide out. I would never do this at a truck stop cause I do know how hard it is for those guys to maneuver. (and I'm not sure they like us much anyway). I do miss our old Pace Arrow, not much room to live in it, but for traveling it was great! We could just pull in anywhere at anytime, pull out the jacknife couch and put the dinette down and call it a night! I just want to make sure I don't upset anyone. I hate getting those glare's at 7:00 am when I step out to welcome the day.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

If your concerned, confused, or not sure spend part of your day reading this thread on the subject and tell us how you feel after that

I know I was not much of a help was I
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnersmom View Post

Nana Ooch

We have used many Walmarts in the United State and in Canada. The proper thing to do is announce yourself to the manager of the store. It's a courtesy. Ask what their preferences might be. Ask about your slides etc. We witnessed most people just taking Walmart for granted. For safety sake we open our bedroom slide over a curb if we can. We don't like being wacked by anything not even a small car. I would not worry about angering anyone not part of the Walmart establishment, especially since they don't own the parking lot.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote