Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Slide Maint & Adjustments

I'm curious to know if there are any sites that explain, in plain simple terms, how to make sure my slide is correctly adjusted and if not, just how to do it. My main slide (drivers side) does go out but goes out slowly. Return path is fine. It leads me to believe that the motor is fine, but what do I know. Are there checks I can perform on the motor or power to it to determine if it is good or not ? Is there any special lubricants to use on the seals that will allow it to move out easier ? One side of my slide seems to squeal while it moves. Is it out of adjustment, does it need lube ???

Any help with some documents on how to maintain and adjust the Power Gear systems would be much appreciated.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #2

The squeal you are hearing could just be a rubber seal rubbing across the side of the slide which would be pretty normal. Look to see if you are rubbing hard surface against hard surface anywhere. The obvious evidence would be scratched paint or fiberglass surface. You could have your DW operate the slide out switch while you stand outside observing.
Normal maintenance would consist of keeping the seals clean and you can optimize their life span with seal conditioner applied once or twice a year. Lubricating gear mechanism should only be done based on manufacturer's specifications. Refer to your owners manual or go on-line to see what your manufacturer recommends.
Slide-outs can weigh 4,000 lbs or more depending on their size. Adjustments should be done by an RV tech who has been trained and has experience with your particular model. I would not attempt adjusting my slide-outs myself. You can easily rack the slide even with a slightest adjustment and cause yourself a major Excedrin headache.

Tags
slide