Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 11:13 AM   #1
epj

Slide motor brake

When we arrived at the campground about 25 miles from home, I discovered that the passenger side slide on my 05 Phaeton had opened 3-4 inches. I am suspicious that the motor brake is not on or not adjusted properly. There is a cover over the brake. Can anyone tell me how to check after I remove the cover?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can't help on the motor part but can recommend slide out locks sold at CW for about $40 ea. Good insurance and will fix such problems. Can also use a 2x4 cut to proper length. Just be sure to remove locks before attempting to extend slide!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
epj

I've got some of those locks, but never needed them on the old Motorhome.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

I had a similar issue on my 07 Expedition. If your slide motor is like mine, under the rubber cover is a manual lever to disengage the break. When then lever is down the break is manually disengaged- in my case, I suspect it became disengaged while driving on a very bumpy road.

Try moving the lever under the rubber cover.

I posted more details regarding the issue and pictures of the slide motor with the cover removed.

Slide Adjustment- DIY or Dealer
Old 05-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #5

Many brakes are on the back side of the motor. Look at the end of your motor for 4 screws. Unscrew that back plate and there is an adjustment nut inside. But before you do that maybe check your wiring. I luckily only had a loose wire so I never had to take mine apart. There are instructions online.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
When we arrived at the campground about 25 miles from home, I discovered that the passenger side slide on my 05 Phaeton had opened 3-4 inches. I am suspicious that the motor brake is not on or not adjusted properly. There is a cover over the brake. Can anyone tell me how to check after I remove the cover?
If you're talking about the rubber cover over the back of the motor and maybe what's already been suggested, there's no need to remove it and where it's elongated, there's a brake release handle inside. Just push or pull it in the opposite direction for effect and I'm guessing that brake on, is by pushing in.
All this, assuming it's an electric POWERGEAR type setup.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #7
epj

It is electric. Not sure of the brand.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Many brakes are on the back side of the motor. Look at the end of your motor for 4 screws. Unscrew that back plate and there is an adjustment nut inside. But before you do that maybe check your wiring. I luckily only had a loose wire so I never had to take mine apart. There are instructions online.
Now that's weird with an intermittent open circuit and usually, the brake is on by default, if it's not in the manual release position and it will only de-activate when power is applied to the motor for moving the slide.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #9

I don't know about the motorhome motors but that's how my fifth wheel is. The brake adjustment is behind the metal plate on the back of the motor, powered by 1 thin wire.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #10

Epj, please post a picture of the motor. My bed slide is Power Gear and the motor lock looks like a flat lever under rubber cover. You would think the lever would flip up or down to engage/disengage, but it doesn't, it rotates about an eighth of a turn about the axis of the motor shaft.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #11

This is exactly the same as the PowerGear electric levelers. The postings about that and related problems are many. Think electromagnet where power applied lets the brake spin, remove power the brake stays locked.. Pushing the lever supposedly overcomes the magnet and leaves the brake loose....thus the warning that such could let the leveler jack slowly wind down (up) under weight. Corrosion from water penetration has raised hell with these levelers brake mechanisms, logic says the same thing could happen on slides even though they would seem less exposed to water than the levelers.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:40 AM   #12
epj

Finally got some light on the motor and it had engage and disengage arrows on a sticker. According to the arrows it was off. I moved the lever to "engaged". We will see if that takes care of it.

Tags
brake, slide