Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Slide Motor Broke??

My big slide is not moving all the way in or out. Service guy thinks it has a broke gear tooth. It will move in a little and then it stopes and there is a funny noise from the motor like chattering. If I go out and move the slide bar manually with a big wrench it then will move in or out by the motor until it hits a spot and then the chattering starts again until I manually turn the slide bar again. Then the motor moves it a ways and everything has to be done again.
Could it be a shear pin and not a broken gear?? Where is the shear pin?

Stuck in Vegas on way to Yuma. Power Gear wants over 800 bucks for a motor with gear box and it will take 7-10 days to even get it. p/n# 521066

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #2

I had a similar problem and it was the brake on the end of the motor. The aluminum brake housing had cracked allowing a piece to jam the motor as it turned. I couldn't buy just the brake as it comes with the motor so I removed the motor and took it to a local machine shop and had a new housing machined from aluminum stock, about $80. Beat $800 for a complete motor/brake assembly. Just a thought.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
I had a similar problem and it was the brake on the end of the motor. The aluminum brake housing had cracked allowing a piece to jam the motor as it turned. I couldn't buy just the brake as it comes with the motor so I removed the motor and took it to a local machine shop and had a new housing machined from aluminum stock, about $80. Beat $800 for a complete motor/brake assembly. Just a thought.
You might try removing the brake and see if the slide will move then.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it were a broken shear pin you would expect the failure to be all the time not intermitten as you describe which sounds more like some teeth missing or substantial portions of the teeth missing.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
very possible to be the shear pin. Mine did same thing. the pin will stick a little and allow some movement, but not enough torque to move totaally. Pin is located on shaft near the motor. Use a punch to push old pieces out. You will need to rotate shaft to line up hole with both shaft pieces. push new pin in place. good luck
Old 01-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Anyone ever have a gear made at a machine shop? Can the gear box be taken a part?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Joe,

Open you compartment door under the slide and look at the shafts. You will see the pins located at the ends of the shaft where they drive the gears. Unless you have sheared all of them which is unlikely it should still try to pull in one end or the other when you activate the key inside.
Texun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I just had a slideout drive gearbox replaced because of worn/sheared teeth. The symptoms were identical to what you describe.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #9

In vegas...lucky you...

Can you get the motor out?

Look in the yellow pages for industrial supply places.

These gear motors were not created for the slides, they were discovered by the slide manufacturer...

They are used on actuators, a well stocked supply may have them in stock.

I had a gear wear out on old sears garden tractor lift, not available from sears as 30 years old, gorden industrial in Fresno took one look, went onto the back and returned with my 3.00 part.

Vegas should have something
Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Anyone ever have a gear made at a machine shop? Can the gear box be taken a part?

Yes, it can be taken apart, quite easily. Unfortunately, powergear won't sell you the parts. WHen my gear tooth broke, I checked with a local shop and they wanted way too much, so I searched around and found a guy that had a broken gearcase, but the gear was good. In looking closer at my case, I found that where the gear shaft bushing was pressed into the potmetal case, the hole became elongated, causing teh shaft to wobble, and eventually breaking the gear. I fixed the potmetal case issue with JB Weld and it's held up good for 4 years now . Below is a picture of my gear that caused the problems .

Here's a pic of the insides of the gearcase. If you look closely at the bushing in the upper center ( about 1:00, above the other gear), you can see where the bushing and the case are not quite fitting right, which caused the slop which broke the teeth
Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #11

There are companies that just make gears, browning is one, industrial supply house may be able to order.

Mom and pop machine shop could make them too, looks like simple gear. Once tooled up to make one they could make more at the same time for not much more, have spares
Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
After calling all around the Country I bit the bullet and had the mobile service guy order it from Power Gear. Boy they sure have you by the you know what. The good news is for my Tradewinds the one I need is the least expensive of the ones used on the Tradewinds according to Power Gear. The reason these things are so expensive is because Power Gear does not stock them, they are made as ordered. When only one is made the cost is at least 3-4 times more then a run. I intend to keep the old one and will check out some shops in the Salt Lake Valley to replace the gear. The shear pins were in good shape, too bad it would have been a lot cheaper.
I called The Gambler in Quartzsite who has a lot of stuff from National but none of the slide motors he had were what I needed. BTW, he only wants 75 bucks for the ones he has. That would have been a 900 buck savings. Sure glad we set money aside for possible MH repairs.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide