Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #15
my A has no slides wish it did my bumper pull has 2 a lot more room. think 3 grand kids 2 large dogs so that said i would not buy another without

whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #16
My personal preference is a wide-body with no slides. DW is still thinking about slides. Assuming that she agrees with a no-slide coach, then Mike Cantor's comment, "Very few people will buy a MH without a slide" should mean that a coach without a slide ought to be significantly cheaper than a similar one with a slide. Sure hope that holds true when the time to buy arrives.

I have noticed that the Airstreams and Foretravels that are in our price range do not have slides, while the Newmars and Tiffins have one, and are a few years newer.

David, kb0zke
Mercury Mountaineer towing mpg 181(both sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Went from a class c no slides to a class c with one slide Then to a Class a with three slides and now have a class a with four slides. Wish I hadn't wasted my time and money by trading so often. Love the slides
Paulandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First Class A had a single slide in the bedroom. It got too small fast. Second Class A (35') has 3 slides (2 in bedroom, 1 in living area) and if the son and granddaughter come along we wish it had 4 slides.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Our motorhome has 2 slides and our TT has 2 slides....love them...would never buy without slides......
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our 2001 (18k milies) does not have slides (25 foot Class C). I decided to avoid slides just due to: 1) the model years we were looking at and the age of the system, 2) the reality that I saw water damage on some coaches of that vintage in Western Oregon, 3) the benefit of both being a lighter rig without slides and more towing capacity for the year. Our next rig we will probably purchase 10 years from now when this rig is 20 years old. I expect to get slides then just because that will be what is available for the model year I will target (2016) and the slide mechanisms continue to improve.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
Depends how you use it. My Itasca has a BR and a LR slide. With 3 people for a 4 week trip, I'm glad I had them. On a recent 6 week trip with just me, I only put them out when I was staying in a CG for a week. Otherwise, I didn't feel the need for the room. DW and I are doing a 6 month lap of America next year, and I wouldn't be without them then.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #22
Slides, no slides we have had both, our current coach (owned it 7 years) has no slides, and we spend alot of time in ours. No chance for leaks/problems, increased cargo compacity, generally more useable cabinet space, easier to keep heated and cooled inside. The down side is no resale (of course RV's and resale don't go togather more like giveaway when you go to trade), and if you travel with more than 2 it does get cramped. One other upside, some VERY highend non-slide coaches can be had at very reasonable prices. To me it's all about what you need and a floor plan you like, and of course how fat your wallet is. Thats why they makes all kinds. Good hunting
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:02 AM   #23
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
I have NO SLIDES and don't want any... I wish they made a new one WITHOUT SLIDES.
Ditto, a nice new one.
P30, 454 ENG, TURBO 400 TRANS
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #24
It really comes down to personal preference as you can see from the posts you've received already. I can't imagine not having at least one slide yet there are obviously lots of folks out there with none. If you decide to go without one, make sure you don't overpay because that will be a big consideration for the person who buys it from you. I suggest you try to find the same unit with a slide and spend an hour of so in it and compare it to the one without the slide and if you're okay, go for it.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #25
As we were both single for a long time prior to meeting, we both cook, sharing the responsibility of preparing meals and cleaning up afterward. We found the non slide class A we first had was a big pain because the galley area was only big enough for one person at a time. The other had to be sitting down? This was a 34 foot motor home for pete's sake, and that "inconvenience" caught us totally by surprise!

Realizing this after just a couple months usage really cost us. We lost our tail moving out of that coach into one with a "super" slide allowing us the freedom of wandering at will. We'd like a little more room around the bed now, but that's not nearly as inconvenient as the too small galley. We'll be living with that issue for a while.

Yes, the slides have a "stigma" surrounding them regarding cost, maintenance, weather proofing, etc. When it gets right down to it though, it's a matter of priorities? For us, there was no question the narrow galley/dining area was soon going to be a deal breaker if we were to spend a lot of time with it. Acknowledging the problem, and finding a solution, allowed us to progress to the point where we can spend any amount of time we care to in this coach. That makes what the move, and any future slide out related hassles, worthwhile in our book. The arguments regarding them a totally moot point.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
We faced this, we had a fixed price range which precluded a newer multi slide coach (first coach and didn't want payments). My wife wanted 2 slides, I wasn't crazy about the added complexity and leak potential. Coming from a truck camper I figured no slide would have plenty of room also.

We ended up with a single street side galley/sofa slide with refrigerator on curb side. For just me and Dylan (trail dog) it's fine with the slide in. For more than just us having the one slide opens up the living area enough for myself, Jay and a dog or 3 to coexist comfortably. Coexisting mainly means both of us being able to move around without constant "excuse me" and stepping over dogs.

Once again I'm glad I let the wife have her way. We don't miss a bedroom slide, although a north/south queen (full length) with a wardrobe slide would be nice for the added clothes storage.
The above post is just my experience/opinion which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #27
I have 2 motorhomes the 85 31' Itasca and a 91 Monaco wide body, the wide body seems a foot wider even though it is only 6". Of course the floor plan is much different.
91crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #28
Having no slides is like living in a shoe box to me. Having 4 slides makes my MH like living in a 500 square foot apartment.

Bee950 is offline   Reply With Quote