Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
We have no slides in the rig we have owned for 10 years.

While doing our search, we determined that a non slide coach retained about 3' of useable wall space that a two slide on one side rig did not. This was due to the slide mechanism intruding into the linear floor space.

We like our rig layout because we have a long couch and a long galley counter provided in a 38' rig and on the same wall.

If we traveled with other people, slides would be more desirable due to crowding in the aisle and more sleeping space provided.

But we would then also need a longer coach.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
We've had both and I really wouldn't go back to not having slides (my next mh will probably have 3+ slides or full wall).

Really depends our your needs though. If it's just 1 or 2, you could probably do just fine without slides (although I wouldn't do it). If you travel with kids or grandkids or friends, I think slides are a must.

As has been mentioned, there are great buying opportunities for no slide mhs but that also means that even if you are buying it for a great price, if you ever want to sell it, you'll be giving it away so don't just get a no-slide with the intention of upgrading in the near future just cause it's a good deal.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #31

I am very happy with the two slides we have and would not want any more. But I would not want any less either.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Are you aware that, specifically for this reason, Class A motorhome slideouts are generally shallower than TT and 5th wheel slideouts so as to allow passage between them when the slides are retracted?

Rusty
I haven't noticed that to be true. Our main slide is 42" deep and it's right across from one that's about 14". Still have room to walk between them when in with no trouble.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #33

We have a 2010 Four Winds Hurricane with two slide. Traded a 1996 Damon with no slides next MH will have at least 3 slides it's nothing like the extra room.
kimwms58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I haven't noticed that to be true. Our main slide is 42" deep and it's right across from one that's about 14". Still have room to walk between them when in with no trouble.
The opposing slides in our 5th wheel have maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch of separation between them when closed. That was my point - the motorhome slideouts are shallower to allow access between them when retracted, whereas that's really not a consideration with most 5th wheels. We can still access the toilet, pantry and fridge even with the slides retracted when we stop, but there's no getting between the fully retracted slideouts. The advantage of the deeper slideouts is, of course, that they offer more living space when opened.

You might want to read my statement you quoted again - we're saying the same thing.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #35

Thanks for all the posts and advice. I agree that it is better to have the slides if you can. We hope to find the right one with a least one slide but if we cant we are ok with a high end older MH with a wide body and no slides. I guess we will find out when we step into it if it is something we can live with.

Shelle
Old 12-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #36

Here's another issue that may, or may not, be important to you. I like to sit back from the steering wheel and also stretch my legs back from the pedals.

We like to look at new units at RV shows, and see that some slides retract right behind the driver's seat, force the seatback to be in an upright position, and generally restricting the driver's position behind the wheel. This may be a minor item for you, but you should be aware of it - depending on what model you are considering. Such a driving position would absolutely remove a coach from my consideration. Happy shopping; it doesn't cost anything until you sign on the bottom line...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
We are about to spend a lot of time on the road, and perhaps spending the night places where we don't want to open a slide... On the other hand we have three kids and will be living in it for a year on our "Great Adventure Tour". We found a perfect solution that works for us, and I agree with all the posts that say once you go with a slide you will never go back!

We borrowed a friends Alfa See Ya a year ago... Largest slides in the industry and when stopped it was great, however when traveling it was nightmare! Kids tripping on the floor elevation changes, tight spots in the hall, and the slides in COVERED heating vents, so the back was cold when traveling in winter.

With the lessons of that, our current coach gives us the best of both worlds - we have the smaller of the living room/kitchen slides by Monaco. it is just as long, but Monaco makes a larger slide with windows on the sides that goes out a long way, or the little slide, that only goes out about two feet which still gives you an amazing amount of room, but when it is in you still have plenty of room to get around, and the coach is fully functional.

So as earlier posted, I recommend a slide, but walk around the coach and check the functionality of everything with the slides in before you buy!
TGMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #38

National RV Owners Club
We have three slides and like the space. A drawback as George mentions (post 36) applies on the passenger side of our RV. The drivers seat can lean back as far as you want with that slide in but the co-pilot seat can not be reclined unless the slide is out - so going down the highway my spouse can not recline in the co-pilot chair as she did in other RV's we have owned.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot may depend on the type of traveling you do. If you only sit in an area for a week or less you may not need it. On the other hand if your sitting for months the extra room would probably really be nice. Our previous motorhome had no slides but then again we were always on the move, so it didn't seem to bother us. Now we are retired and stay at length when we go somewhere so the extra space is great. One other consideration is the more moving parts the more something may go wrong so you might want to keep that in mind as well. Good Luck with whatever you should choose and Happy Holidays!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 1st MH had only one slide in main living area. We traded to a newer unit with 2 slides and love them. Pricing units you should find MH without slides are substandially cheaper. Just like Gas vs DP. Dealers all push units with the most slides or full wall slides. Why, the sell for more dollars....ie more profit. When you look at units with slides check how far out the slides go. Many units the slides only entend 12 to 18 inches. that is fine for a BR but a main room slide should extend 2 to 3 ft. We wouldn't consider any MH with less than 2 slides after having them. Good luck!
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
I think a lot depends on your usage. We are snowbirds and would not be without them. We had 2 on a previous MH and now have 3. For weekends and 2 week vacations you can do without, but living in it for 5 to 6 months they are needed especially if you get a few days of bad weather and have to be inside. The most important feature/item is the floorplan, it must be workable and good for you. Yes we are narrow with all the slides in but we can walk through and if we stop to eat or rest we just put the opposing slides out about 3 - 4 inches they are still narrower than the mirrors.

Also down the road when you go to trade or sell they will be valuable.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
TGMarrs - family on a vacation for a year?! How are you pulling it off? Enjoy!
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide