Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

slide or not

We really like our slide on our travel trailer but we are moving up to a class A soon and have found several excellent choices in our budget without them. Hubby and I just arent sure that we should get one without at least the living area slide.

We are looking at 93-96 Monaco Dynasties and a 1998 Dolphin all without slides but they are wide bodies. I think we could manage without the slide since they are wider plus no obstacles to mess with when we are traveling down the road if one of us want to go to the back of the coach.

What are your thoughts and if you wanted a slide but didnt wind up with one when you purchased, did you regret it?

Shelle
shelle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #2

Hi!

We recently moved up from a truck camper to a class A with a bedroom slide.
We really like slides and wish we had more than one. The main thing is that slides really get rid of the "hallway effect" you get when you have a no-slide unit. Disadvantages are that they have more mechanical equipment and leak-possible rain shades. If I were to buy again, I'd get at least one more slide.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I have NO SLIDES and don't want any... I wish they made a new one WITHOUT SLIDES.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We Have a 97 Monaco Windsor without slides. We are happy with it, it is fine for the two of us, but we only use it on the weekends camping, and for a couple weeks vacation yearly. When our adult daughter goes with us once or twice a year it gets tight in the living room with the sofa made into a bed. If we fulltimed or had young kids I think I would like to have slides.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #5

slide

We had decided to go with no slide. But we wound up with one (limited choices on newer units, all seem to have at least one). We often do not extend it and are fine. When we were looking, we asked the salesmen to retract the slide (they insist on having it out when you walk into the coach). We were surprised at how many were near impossible to move around in or access cabinets or drawers with the slide in. If you go with a slide, make sure it does not block access to something you may want to get to with it retracted. Ours has a slide, but we use it out less than 50 percent of the time.
I hope that this helps!
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelle007 View Post
....plus no obstacles to mess with when we are traveling down the road if one of us want to go to the back of the coach.
Are you aware that, specifically for this reason, Class A motorhome slideouts are generally shallower than TT and 5th wheel slideouts so as to allow passage between them when the slides are retracted?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Sure, you can "manage" without slides, but once you have them you'll never be without them again. Those that are totally happy without slides have never had any slides.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #8

We bought our unit with no slides and are just fine without them. We only use ours a few times a month for a couple of days at a time. If we were to spend more time in it, I may make a different decision.

I however am one who believes the more holes you have in a mh the more apt it is to leak. The more moving parts you have the more apt they are to malfunction at the worst time.

I have been in several with slides and do like the extra space they provide.

Tom

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
When slides first got popular, Bluebird and Prevost both said to their customers, If you want a slide you will have to buy from someone else. After seeing their sales plummet, both got busy and came out with sides. If you are going to buy a diesel pusher, NEVER buy one without a slide. DP's are almost impossible to sell without a slide. Our dealership took two Guldstream Tourmaster motorhomes in on trade. We had one hundred thousand dollars in real money in each one. We finally sold both two years later for fifty something thousand a piece. If you are buying gas, It will be harder to sell without a slide but your chances are much better. This is the experience at our dealership. If you are buying one to keep forever, just get what you like.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Are you aware that, specifically for this reason, Class A motorhome slideouts are generally shallower than TT and 5th wheel slideouts so as to allow passage between them when the slides are retracted?

Rusty
I didnt realize that actually but it makes sense.

Shelle
Old 12-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #11

Not to change your title but how many class A's have slides and would buy a new one without, not me.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Providence with 4 slides. Lots more room when spending 4 or 5 months in it. Raises your chances of surviving DW's wrath.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #13

My previous MH had no slides. My new MH has slides. I will NEVER not have slides again. The other problem is without slides you will have a hard time selling it when you want to trade up. Very few people will buy a MH without a slide.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
on 4th A and this one has 3 slides and on the 5th 4 slides or bust.

Tags
slide