Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Saw a nice Adventure the other day in Espanola,NM. It made a quik pull off to the parking lane. When I went by, I realized the problem. The main slide was sticking out 3-4 inches.

Sent a shudder down my spine.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Saw a nice Adventure the other day in Espanola,NM. It made a quik pull off to the parking lane. When I went by, I realized the problem. The main slide was sticking out 3-4 inches.

Sent a shudder down my spine.

04 Lapalma 33'
Old 07-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #3

Happened to me. Not as impossible as you may think. I put a wide strip of reflective yellow tape vertically down the side of the slide so if it comes out a couple of inches, I can't miss it. And a 4'by 6' brace to prevent it from happening again until I get it fixed.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had my slide come out on me in ELk City Ok. in a cross wind. Went to Campingworld in OK City and asked if they had anything to block it. They said no and another guy come in with the same request, happened to him in Elk City. Went to K-mart and got three shower rods(42 inches long). Works great, forgot about them the next time I put the slide out. One broke but didn't mess the slide up. Bought a new one and is working great the rest of the trip (8,000 miles). Need to puit something over switch to remind me to take them out. Hope this helps.
Glen Taylor Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the same thing happen to us in some vicious cross winds last year near Deming N.M. When I got home I cut some 3/4" dowling, tied some string on one end and attatched a piece of paper so that it hangs down and can't be missed. Went to open my slide the other day and the dowlin prevented it. Works great. Simple and cheap.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig H:
Had the same thing happen to us in some vicious cross winds last year near Deming N.M. When I got home I cut some 3/4" dowling, tied some string on one end and attatched a piece of paper so that it hangs down and can't be missed. Went to open my slide the other day and the dowlin prevented it. Works great. Simple and cheap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you just wedge this in or do you have an adjustable piece on it? At present, I have a brace for the main but not for the bedroom. I've thought along your lines but have wanted to make it adjustable.

04 Lapalma 33'
Old 08-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #7

Now you know why I always use slide locks. Several years ago a fiver had a slide come out, hit a bus load of kids going to camp at the window line and created havoc.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #8

A question to those who had their slides creep out while traveling, are they hydraulic ram type or electric rack & gear?

Thanks

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LVJ...,
my rig has hwh hyd rams. the bedroom slide goes out about 9 inches immediately after being retracted unless the retract solenoid release valve is opened.
i adapted winne's fwd slide lock strap to secure the aft slide.
i am still working with hwh on a solution to this problem.
so far i have replaced the rear slide extend and retract solenoids and the electric pump motor with no positive results.
i have 2 more solenoids from hwh to replace when i get back to washington next week.
dan
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:16 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I too have just repaired slideout creep. Installed a reman'd extend solenoid with much success.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #11

Thanks Dan, I was just curious, we have 2 slides on our 2000 using the electric rack/gear set up, and so far haven't noticed any creep out, but still check on them occasionally through outside mirrors.

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #12

We have had 4 motor homes with electric rack and pinion slides and have never had a creep out problem and have not had slide locks on any of the MHs.

Echo & Peach our Shih Tzus
Dick Osterhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we took delivery of our Allegro on the way home from the dealer, our living room slide came out about 4 inches. It is an electric rack and pinion unit. The detail person at the dealership for what ever reason left the clutch release lever in the free position. After having to retract the slide a couple more times, I made it home, and after reading the manual, Was able to find and correct problem. You gotta love those dealer prep persons.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Adj, mine are just cut to the length, maybe a bit over, and I just wedge them in. Works fine so far.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote