Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2017, 12:32 AM   #1

Question Slide out issue

I have a 2000 fleetwood south wind, when the slide is in, it makes contact with the side of the motor home fairly well but when extended out it sags enough to hit a the top but not the bottom leaving a gap of about 3/4" I don't see any adjustment for this and if it was able to be adjusted in the slide out position to mesh with the seal it seams like it would just reverse the problem? Any advise would be appreciated. Than you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's probably a rack & pinion gear slide mechanism, maybe Power Gear brand (what Fleetwood mostly uses). If so, it sounds as though the slide isn't going out quite far enough. The top is supposed to touch first and the bottom moves a bit further before stopping. That brings the slide up level and seals all the way around. There is usually a limit switch that stops the travel, plus the motor control probably has a current (amp) limit that shuts it down rather than overload (in case something jams). You might even have something stuck between the bottom of the slide and the wall, so that it doesn't go quite all the way.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

I have the sister unit which is the 2000 Pace Arrow Vision. It does exactly what yours is doing. Have not let it worry us in ten years and it allows water to slide off the slide topper better.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #4

It does go all the way out and hit at the top first and goes a bit further until the bottom makes contact with seal but when I release the key the the bottom comes back in under it own weight leaving the gap at the bottom allowing air to enter.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Similar problem here, so I ran a section of black marine/auto rubber weatherstrip down the inside where the slideout misses the wall, leaving no gap. I also put a screw in the top of the slideout with a hard plastic screw cover to act as a stop against the wall. (I could have attached the screw to the wall instead, same effect) I wanted the top of the slideout to not go out as far before the bottom could finish moving. This causes the slideout to stop straighter.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-10-ft-B...rstrip/1038917
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #6

That's a good idea, thank you
Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a Fleetwood structural problem. I took my 2000 Bounder 34D, having the same issue, to Decatuer to the REV Service Center and was told the slideout was racking, and tilted forward and out of square. This caused the slide to scrape on the front - top edge, destroying the sweep seal. They stated they could NOT repair the structure because they could not access the area under the coach. Their answer was to lower the right rear jack to square up the slide and allow it to extend without destroying the seal. This worked for about 10 months, now back to square one, slide will NOT extend. Next appointment @ REV Service Center is 3/8/2017. Will follow up here after visit.

Tags
slide, slide out