Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Arrow Slide Out Phobia .....

Ok... I am a newbie in Class A with slideouts. I come from a B+ diesel with none.
I will admit, I have slide-out-phobia. Scared to death that I will be in the middle of nowhere and the slide will not work!!!!!

What are your experiences with this issue?
Is it not an issue with newer rigs?
What has happened to you and what did you do?
What are the options that you can do yourself (pretend an RV tech is not available)?
What maintenance do you do to prevent this phobia from being real?????

Thanks for the inputs... this forum is great!
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Carry a big crescent wrench, learn where the clutch on the slide motor is and practice.

My flight motor gave out once and because I had practiced it was very easy to bring it in manually.

Don't wait for a problem to learn the solution.
pplwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
^^ Exactly .....

I'm a systems person. I need to know how it works.

Single point failures...

If the slide doesn't want to retract, what do I need to do to retract it (depending on the failure, get the wrench out, remove the power plug, release the motor brake, start cranking ).

If the jacks don't come up, how do I get them up.. Depending on the failure, get the bucket out to catch hydraulic fluid, and remove the hose.

With that said, most of the systems are fairly robust. They are designed so a complete idiot can use it. HOWEVER - When I build an idiot proof machine, they always seem to come up with a better idiot...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #4

I have a 2003 gas Coachman with two slides, have only had to manually crank it in a couple times, do learn how this is done, I looked op mfg. Of slide and they gave me access to their web site where I downloaded and printed all the specs and how to make adjustments if needed, keep seals clean and treated, very important to prevent early ageing or failure, I still have original seals, don't sweat the slides prepare for a possible DO go out and enjoy your new toy. We travel about 5,000 miles each year and spend about 6 months away from the home base, 😊 God Bless
MikeMerru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
ok... now the follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplwizard View Post
Carry a big crescent wrench, learn where the clutch on the slide motor is and practice.

My flight motor gave out once and because I had practiced it was very easy to bring it in manually.

Don't wait for a problem to learn the solution.
OK, I will bite....
So... who knows where the "clutch" on my slide is so I can find it and practice! Winnie Vista 31KE? Are there documents on these so people like me can read and learn? ...

Trying to overcome my slide-oh-phobia
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #6

The first time I ran my bedroom slide out, it would not run back in. Thankfully I was at home.

I googled the brand: "power gear" and found some information so I could have half of a clue. Called the manufacturer and they helped me get it back in.

Parts got replaced under warranty and I have used the slide at least 50 times now without issue.

I was told by a salesman that slides have a design life of 10,000 uses. So, I should be good for another 9,550 uses.

OP, your slide might be completely different -- find out the brand and start Goggling for adjustment directions. Locate the components and be prepared.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

You are going to LOVE the extra space slide outs provide.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #8

The owners manual is the best place to start.

Our used Winnebago Sightseer has the complete owners packet and instructions. The only thing I can't find is the adapter for the bedroom slide. I'll have to make up one from an unneeded 3/8" drive deepwell socket
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So... who knows where the "clutch" on my slide is so I can find it and practice!
Not sure about yours, but on my Power Gear, there is a small lever on the end of the motor. Its not a clutch, but a brake, it holds the mechanism stopped and locked unless the motor is running.

ALSO - Power Gear says to disconnect the motor power plug, as the motor will act as a dynamic brake when trying to move the slide manually.

Here is a link to my manual:

http://1999southwind.com/DOWNLOAD/PowerGear%20Slide.pdf

OH YAH - Our last MH (2001 Mirada) was nice but it didn't have any slideouts. When we decided to upgrade to a larger MH, a slide was a requirement to open it up for more interior room. We love it...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #10

My slides are hydraulic and I need a winch to draw them back in. I currently have my old boat winch but am looking for the right tool.

I printed all my emergency instructions out and have them in a folder on the rig. How to start when battery is dead, how to bring up the levelers and how to bring in the slides. Well the start when battery is dead isn't rocket science but it amazing how you forget such simple resolutions.

One important thing is...keep a change of clothes with clean undies in a spot that isn't trapped by your slide. Learned that from someones blog after they realized they had no clean clothes when their slide jammed.

We only trap 2 drawers with the slide so we just avoid putting anything in there that is needed regularly. In the kitchen we have some of it trapped by the slide and have been strategic in our storage use because some times we park overnight and don't push out the slides.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Three of my slides take a winch and the other main one takes two large all thread rods. The three small slides work fine, the main slide may come in or may not. So far it's just needed a push from outside, but that's hard to do when you're alone and it takes two, one to hold the switch and one to push. The slide works fine once it's up the drop down so if I need to I can use the all thread rods to lift it up the ramp, then bring it in with the hydraulics. Mine are all HWH hydraulic, three are above floor and the troublesome one is flat.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Three of my slides take a winch and the other main one takes two large all thread rods. The three small slides work fine, the main slide may come in or may not. So far it's just needed a push from outside, but that's hard to do when you're alone and it takes two, one to hold the switch and one to push. The slide works fine once it's up the drop down so if I need to I can use the all thread rods to lift it up the ramp, then bring it in with the hydraulics. Mine are all HWH hydraulic, three are above floor and the troublesome one is flat.
Had some fun with my 2004 HWH system, it was a bad shuttle valve and low fluid.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #13

As mentioned earlier, look in your user manual. Winnebago has great manuals and support. My 2002 Journey came with all the manuals. They tell you what to do with problem slides etc. Read those first to determine if you can handle the job/motor home.
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #14

And if you don't have the manuals like in my case they have them all on winnebagos website or the website of the manufacturer of your other stuff not made by winnebago.

Tags
slide, slide out