Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #1

Slide out problem

I have a 2007 Fleetwood Southwind. When extending the slide out, it stops, as if the motor does not have enough power. Then it will go out about an inch and stop again. You have to keep playing with it to get the slide all the way out. It does the same thing when retracting. It goes a little then stops. When its about half in, it retracts the rest of the way ok. The batteries are up to snuff. Can anybody help??
hals24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #2

I have a Southwind 32V. Try running the engine the next time you operate the slide. That is just a quick fix to get it in or out. The slide should go in and out of it's own accord. You have to find the problem and it might be your house batts.

As an aside, check your manual to determine how to retract your slide in the event it's stuck in the in/out position. Here's my sad story - on the first day of a 2 week trip we're in Flagstaff, AZ and the slide won't retact. I disconnected the slide motor drive and proceeded to get ready to crank it in by hand. First problem is I don't have a socket that fits the end of the crank nor did I have a socket wrench big enough for the job. I finally got it in using a Mexican socket set (adjustable wrench) plus a bunch of urging of my 115 lbs wife to push harder!! It took me a couple of days to get back into her good graces.

The problem was the slide out interlock failed. It's a cheap piece of plastic and located behind the emergancy brake pedal, but by fiddling with it I got it to work for the trip but I never knew during the trip if the slide would go in or out. You have to remove the entire brake pedal to get at it. Once I got home, I bypassed the interlock with a simple dashboard switch. I also attched a socket to the crank and bought a large socket wrench in the event it happens again.
southie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
For Power Gear Slide Out systems, You need to start and run the engine when operating the system. If you still have an issue of it stalling, check the amperage of the motor under load. Let us know what you find.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Interesting. Our coach will not allow the slides to work with the engine running. We have the same problem with the rear, driver's side slide. I always make sure I am hooked to shore power or have the genset running incase there is an issue with weak batteries.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The pace arrow gasser I had worked best with the engine running.

Theknight has an interlock, slides won't move if she's running. Kinda annoying as I'm waiting for air pressure anyway, would be an ideal time to put the slides in
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Check the fluid level.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #7

Run the engine always when extending/retracting the slides.
Our '05 Bounder began to drag a bit and found the relay was an issue. Changed it out and no problems.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Interesting. Our coach will not allow the slides to work with the engine running. We have the same problem with the rear, driver's side slide. I always make sure I am hooked to shore power or have the genset running incase there is an issue with weak batteries.
Some manufacturers wire slide out systems to not operate when engine is running as a safety. Power gear on the other hand wants the engine supplying good voltage to the motors and so you run the engine on their systems. Others like HWH, LCI or Norco do not, most of the time.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Theknight has an interlock, slides won't move if she's running. Kinda annoying as I'm waiting for air pressure anyway, would be an ideal time to put the slides in
"waiting for air pressure" would mean the 8 airbags are inflating with possible small "racking" of the frame - - not a good time to be moving a 2 or 3 thousand pound structural member of the frame system.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide