Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

slide out problems

We have a 2003 32' Southwind Class A motorhome. Recently, the large slide out motor would extend the slide but not retract it. We had a new motor installed but even with that, new batteries, the park cable plugged in and the motor running, the slide motor still has a very hard time getting the slide "over the hump". Once the slide is over the hump it retracts easily.
I would sure appreciate some suggestions on how to overcome this problem. It seems to me to be a design flaw in how the slide drops to floor level but that doesn't solve the problem of the slide getting stuck in the extended position.
celtviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
A lot of those slides would struggle to get back in till it gets over the hump then would run fine. I have sprayed silcone on the blocks to help reduce the friction seems to help maybe someone else has a trick that could help
Old 07-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #3

How do you remove the roller from the bracket on the slide out roller assembly
roberard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bring the slide in about half way and cut a 2x4 and push on the top to kick it back puyt the block under the front you might have to use two blocks that will keep it safe and give you room to get in there.

Some rollers have a pin that holds them in pull the pin out slide the shaft out and it will come out. If not then your going to have to remove the screws that hold the brackets in they might be 1/4 or 5/16 inch heads or square No.2 you might need to use a 1/4 in drive ratchet with a 1/4 size socket the No. 2 bit will fit in a 1/4 inch socket also see if that works
Old 07-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #5

Thanks nightrider.
There doesn't seem to be any pins so it looks like I'll have to take the bracket out. There seems to be bearings at each end. Can I just replace the bearing or does a person have to get a whole new roller assembly?
Old 07-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You might can change it just depends on how it's made most of the time we replaced the whole roller because it was one piece.

I did a search on Ebay check it out it will give you a idea on what they look like and the prices you will get a better $$$ on there compaired to going to the dealership
Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #7

Thanks for the info.
Just found out that the pin in the roller is spring loaded at one end, so that will make it a lot easier to remove. Also found out where I can get replacement rollers, they cost $7.00. Will tackle this project tomorrow.
Roger
Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #8

Have you checked your relay/wall switch. Some times the motor does not get enough juice to handle much resistance from the rollers/framed opening due to low voltage from relay or wall switch(which can go south on either side of the rocker assembly).
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have '99 Winnebago Adventurer, I removed the center piston to repair a leak coming from the shaft side, when i reinstalled it, the driver side would not retract but it will extend, the rear side works fine. Could someone give me some idea to what the problem maybe?
Bob31C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #10

I have a problem. It's Friday 7PM I just arrived from the repair shop and the slideouts were not the problem but now I can only open the main slideout and not the bedroom. I haven't had a chance to check for any disconnect issues but I did check all the breakers. Any suggestions?
dbaverb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide