Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
slide out seal leaking

So we are parked in Ouray CO for a couple of weeks and one of our slides has developed a leak that is apparently at the corner and around the seal. We look a little like the Beverly Hillbillies with the tarp, duct tape, and bungee cords that are our temporary fix for the rest of our stay here. Had a big rain with lots of wind last night and our fix is working so far. Anyway, when we get home I will take the coach to my regular service guy and have him fix/replace that seal. Anybody had this done and can give me an idea of the cost? My main question is since the coach is an 05' model would it be worth the money to have all of the seals on all four slides replaced just so we could avoid (hopefully) and similar problems for several years to come or just do the one and see what happens? The seals all feel soft and get "lubricated" a couple of times a year. We store the coach with the slides "in" and under cover. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi chuck49,
If you are caring for the seals, it is unusual for one to deteriorate that far. Does the offending seal look and feel like the other seals? If so, maybe an adjustment of the slide is needed.

Based on the information in the OP, I'd replace only the offending seal and only after other possible solutions are eliminated.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
One of my bedroom slides was leaking and I just had it fixed at Alliance Coach. They replaced the seal and the cost was about $2,000. Most of the cost is labor. I'm hoping the other 3 last for a while.

Rich
Old 08-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Good information. Thanks for the feedback. I trust my service guy so I will have them look at it and go from there. The seals feel good so we'll address the bad one for now and see what happens. Maybe an adjustment will do it.
Thanks again. Safe travels everyone.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #5

Is it a rubber seal or a box seal at is leaking, check this out may help
and check slide show
Slide Leaks & Damage Part I - Forum
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a leak on my slide and it ended up being on the top of the slide where it meets the inside decorative trim piece along the top. Pull the slide in and look behind the top decorative trim piece. I had to run a piece of externabond tape all the way across the top behind the trim.

It worked and my slide does not leak anymore.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
I had a leak on my slide and it ended up being on the top of the slide where it meets the inside decorative trim piece along the top. Pull the slide in and look behind the top decorative trim piece. I had to run a piece of externabond tape all the way across the top behind the trim.

It worked and my slide does not leak anymore.
We are experiencing the exact same problem. We have a topper on the slide yet there is water collecting on the top of the slide. There is no water on the bedroom slide. Wind is not an issue. We would like to know how to stop the water from collecting there. Any ideas out there as to why water is collecting underneath the topper?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless there are holes in the topper it just about has to be wind blowing water under the topper. That shouldn't be a problem though. The bulb seal between the inside slide flange (top, sides, and bottom) and the wall should keep the water out. When you bring the slide in the wiper should squeegee the water off the top of the slide.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just for information, the flexible seal you see when you are standing outside and looking at the side of the slide (same for top) are the wiper seals. They really just wipe off excess moisture that may collect on the slide sides, or top. It is stationary and does not move with the slide, it just bends inward or outward. Sometimes it binds and you can see when the slide is extended that it did not "wipe" out when the slide was extended. It does provide a little protection from rain but that is not its sole purpose.

Then there are two seals One is on the outside of the slide periphery an the other is behind the trim on the inside. When the slide is extended the inside seal is butted up against the inside of the MH providing a seal. When the slide is retracted the outside seal butts up against the outside of the MH.

One method of looking for slide seal leaks is at night with a flash light. Have someone go inside with a strong flashlight and with the slide extended and the lights off inside, move the light around. You should not see any light on the outside. If you do, mark the spot, and that is most likely where the leak is.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a torn seal on my living room slide. Last week I met with my RV guy at Centennial RV in Grand Junction. Estimate is $300 plus the cost of the seal to repair. He is contacting Winnebago to purchase the correct seal. Point being, I would check around on my pricing.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is it just any double sided tape that is used to attach those seal strips?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think water accumulates under the topper on the slide because it either drips off the edge and runs underneath before dripping. Or it is blown onto the top of the slide during a rain storm.

Anybody who has a leak from the slide should install externbond tape along the top inside edge of the slide. Pull the slide in, and look behind the top trim piece. There are multible sheets of metal that form the top inside edge of the slide. when the slide is out this edge is up against the seal, water can get through weep through the seams of the metal and drip inside the RV.

A few dollars for the externabond tape cheap fix.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, seal, slide, slide out