Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Slide out Seal Protection

What does everyone use to protect their slide out seals? I found protect all slide out rubber seal treatment at camping world. Or should I just use Aerospace 303? Also, how does one get to the inside of the seal or is getting the outside sufficient?
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #2

I am old school.......
Wash/rinse then when dry dust them with talcum powder in an old sock

Have been doing that since I bought our 5vr in 2006........12 yrs later seals & wipers are still pliable, supple and seal
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #3

I use Aerospace 303 and cover the side wall as well as the rubber
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #4

Do you mean the interior and exterior seals or the wiper? (Most folks think the wiper is actually a seal.)

The wiper should only be washed with soap and water so that it will flap in and out as the slide is extended and retracted.

The seals should be cleaned (soap and water) and then treated with talc so that will not stick to the outside wall of the coach when retracted or the inside wall of the coach when extended. - Otherwise, they will rip off of the slide.

Campling world is where you buy toilet paper if the local Walmart is out.

Yes, many companies make products to spray everything on your rig - some of those product actually do not harm the rig in the process.

And, lastly 303 has great products. Expensive, but great. I think that's about the only product that some tire manufactures say you can use on their tires (most say soap and water, ONLY).

Your choice - the key is - you don't want the inner and outer seals to stick to the walls or they'll get ripped - I'm not sure if 303 will keep them from sticking.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Do you mean the interior and exterior seals or the wiper? (Most folks think the wiper is actually a seal.)

The wiper should only be washed with soap and water so that it will flap in and out as the slide is extended and retracted.

The seals should be cleaned (soap and water) and then treated with talc so that will not stick to the outside wall of the coach when retracted or the inside wall of the coach when extended. - Otherwise, they will rip off of the slide.

Campling world is where you buy toilet paper if the local Walmart is out.

Yes, many companies make products to spray everything on your rig - some of those product actually do not harm the rig in the process.

And, lastly 303 has great products. Expensive, but great. I think that's about the only product that some tire manufactures say you can use on their tires (most say soap and water, ONLY).

Your choice - the key is - you don't want the inner and outer seals to stick to the walls or they'll get ripped - I'm not sure if 303 will keep them from sticking.
Well I guess you got me. I thought the big rubber flap was also the seal! I guess I’ll have to look a bit closer.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Well I guess you got me. I thought the big rubber flap was also the seal! I guess I’ll have to look a bit closer.
Just to confuse the issue - there are a wide variety of flapper and seals that have been used through the years by many RV companies. Some of the flappers INCLUDE a large bulbous seal that mates with the slide when the slide is closed - make it water tight. As you can imagine - that bulbous/compressible part must be clean so that it can't stick to the slide - otherwise it can rip.

Some, will have the seal mounted with adhesive on the coach side of the outer wall of the slide. You can see those when the slide is open and you stand with your back to the coach - you'll see a gasket stuck onto the wall of the slide where it would compress against the coach when the slide is closed.

There will also be a seal on the inside of the slide so that it can keep water out when the slide is fully open - to see that - move the slide part way out and feel/look around the opening the wall and/or the slide's inner wall. Once place or the other will have a seal - that should be clean so it can't stick (by use of petroleum cleaners, etc. etc.) to the wall and rip when opening.

So - inspect yours and figure out which style you have - seperate seals and flappers or some variation - just watch which surface you're cleaning and what you're using. Rubber likes soap and water best (same as your tires).

Folks will contribute a lot of their personal home remedies and anecdotal tales of success - when in doubt ask the folks that actually MAKE the seal on your rig how to clean it and how to keep it from sticking - share your knowledge!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, slide, slide out