Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Slide out stabilizer jacks

does any one use them on their class a MH?

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Husky...D8E46FC08DFABF
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #2

JMHO: The only place these should be used , is on a solid concrete site ; because if the RV shifts or settles , and the slide supports don't you'll end up with a bent slide .

Do not ... repeat , Do not ask how I now this .
Old 05-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

I had a set on my travel trailer and they really especially down here in Southeast Texas where we getting gust of wind at 80 miles an hour at times. Now my motorhome I have not installed them but I have not felt any kind of rocking in this thing at all. The funny thing is I was just talking to my brother tonight I'm thinking about putting in them underneath the frame in the very back of the RV if I can cuz if I'm in the rear restroom and my 20 lb pug comes running towards me I can feel the rear bouncing
Old 05-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #4

sounds to me like a problem just waiting to happen.
Dave
Old 05-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #5

No - NEVER!

If the MH was eer to move/settle/shake the slideout would be torqued hobbibly.

Please don't.

If they were supposed to have them, the mfg would offer them as a high-class upgrade - but, they don't!!

Same thing with your automatic steps - if you brace/anchor them and the MH shifts you've just messed up your steps.

A little rock 'n roll and shake 'n bake is okay when you're camping.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:29 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not use them. The slide is built to support itself and a load. I can see damage the slide or at least break the seal to the body.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #7

Nope..higher risk of causing more problems than solving one. If you need more stabilization, do something on the main chassis.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Nope..higher risk of causing more problems than solving one. If you need more stabilization, do something on the main chassis.
or...buy a house.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:06 PM   #9

Slide out stabilizer jacks

I used them on my super C (Kodiak) with a rather large side slide. I thought that I took some of the strain off the slide supports. We were on a concrete pad. I also used some solid screw jacks to help support/stabilize the rig. We also used the hydraulic leveler jacks.

What we found out was we needed to get the rig level with the suspension first then put the slides out and recheck the level. This usually took very little adjustment from the hydraulic stabilizers. Then put four screw type jacks under the four corners till they are just touching the frame. Then put two slide supports under the big slide till they just touch.

We were this way for six months but we usually had to go get some service or repair about halfway through. So after three months we had to start over.

One thing I did notice was after about 6-8 weeks the right rear hydraulic jack would pull up about 1/4-3/8 inch from the ground. It was easily fixed by just bumping the hydraulics. That is why I had the screw jacks as a back up.

Have fun
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:12 PM   #10

Slide out stabilizers

We have upgraded to a dp now and the stabilizers seem to be better at holding their position or that after a while the air systems bleed off faster than the hydraulics do and keep a load on the jacks.

Also the slide supports seem to be bigger/stronger in this unit and don't need extra support

Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tried stabilizers on a trailer slide out and it didn't help with the movement.

Plus there was always the concern that if I forgot to remove them before I lowered the front end I would have destroyed my slideout.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #12

When slides were first introduced the mechanisms and structures were weak and the feeling was add some stabilization to the slide to support it. Basically all RVs will settle some with the stabilization jacks and as that settling occurs, pressure will be applied to the jacks under the slides and potentially bend them. Settling can occur with jacks sinking into the surface or slight jack internal leak. Perhaps not a problem with electric jacks. I personally would not use slide jacks for the above stated reasons and besides, current slide structures are built to be extended without additional jacks. The leveling jacks on the coach work well, hod the coach in position BUT sometime we find it necessary to "tighten them up" a bit after a few days. Usually we have settled some. Imagine the condition of the slides if they were jacked up. NO thanks.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #13

Like Chris said, used them with our TT with a super slide, but not with the MH. I don't understand some of the problems others have mentioned. If your MH settles won't the slide supports settle also? If the ground is questionable, I do not park there, Dead Bang.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanbaker View Post
Like Chris said, used them with our TT with a super slide, but not with the MH. I don't understand some of the problems others have mentioned. If your MH settles won't the slide supports settle also? If the ground is questionable, I do not park there, Dead Bang.
A motorhome or trailer could settle because of soft ground or a jack losing some pressure and retract a bit. The stability of the ground is likely not the same unless you are on a concrete pad. If for example the left side were to settle a bit, undue pressure could be applied upwards on the slide by the slide jack. For one that's not the way they were designed, upward pressure, secondly the slide box could be warped and bent by that pressure. If someone isn't convinced, ask the manufacturer direct, not a salesman in a dealership or a company trying to sell some gimmick.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, slide, slide out