Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

Slide out stuck out top jammed, please help

We have a 2005 safari simba 34 foot. Due to go from florida to new York tomorrow

Just finished cleaning motorhome, went to retract main slide out that has been open for two week, top does not budge. Bottom pulls in, (both sides of it) top stays stuck fast.

I checked on top under the awning and cannot see any debris.

I would be super grateful if someone could advise me how to solve this, just want the slide out retracted so we can go on this planned journey.

I looked in the manual and it says to use a 1 inch socket to retract if the motors are not working, but the motors are working fine so that seems pointless.

Could there be something causing it to catch on the top, anything to adjust?

I would welcome any tips

thanks

Terry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:18 PM   #2

Check your leveling. Maybe raise the side that the slide is on to relieve the pressure on the top.

briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

When looking at purchasing our MH a month ago the owner was demonstrating the slides and one of them got hung up on one of the top corners. It looked like the automatic latch mechanism that is on the outside of the slide was catching on the opening. The coach was not level, sitting nose high which I believe caused the slide shift in the opening.

He leveled the coach and tied again without a problem. It has not been a problem since.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #4

Welcome to iRV2.
Sorry you're here with problems.

First thing to do would be , with the bottom of the slide in about an inch and a half.
CAREFULLY !!!! Slide a piece of plastic around the back of the inside sealing flange, to make sure the foam seal behind the flange isn't stuck to the wall.
Carefully , because it you get to a section that is stuck and the slide shifts ; suddenly; the full weight of the slide could come down on the floor and your foot or anything else that's in the way.

The slide is driven at the bottom; you already know that; and any interference that stops the top from following , will cause the condition you describe.
If the seal is stuck to the wall , treat the seal and the wall with a silicone spray, before you put the slide out again.

EDIT: I see other members , who type faster than I do, have given some good advice too.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.
Sorry you're here with problems.

First thing to do would be , with the bottom of the slide in about an inch and a half.
CAREFULLY !!!! Slide a piece of plastic around the back of the inside sealing flange, to make sure the foam seal behind the flange isn't stuck to the wall.
Carefully , because it you get to a section that is stuck and the slide shifts ; suddenly; the full weight of the slide could come down on the floor and your foot or anything else that's in the way.

The slide is driven at the bottom; you already know that; and any interference that stops the top from following , will cause the condition you describe.
If the seal is stuck to the wall , treat the seal and the wall with a silicone spray, before you put the slide out again.

EDIT: I see other members , who type faster than I do, have given some good advice too.
What you describe happened to our 5er once. After discovering the cause, and loosening them, I sprayed the seals with silicone and it never happened again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:39 PM   #6

FIXED!!!

What a super forum. Great advice

Problem solved, jacked up side to relieve pressure all moved in, then leveled and went out and in again no problem

thanks to all, NYC bound tomorrow :-)
Old 07-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #7

Safe travels, glad you've got it fixed up.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #8

Great to hear you got it working. Have a great time and safe travels.
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalryman View Post
... It looked like the automatic latch mechanism that is on the outside of the slide was catching on the opening. ....
I'm not sure, but I think the latching system is only on the full wall slides. I've had four RVs with slides and the only latches were on the one with the full wall slide.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I'm not sure, but I think the latching system is only on the full wall slides. I've had four RVs with slides and the only latches were on the one with the full wall slide.

The slide locks & latches , manual and automatic , are manufacturer dependent as far as where and on what slides they are installed.

Tags
slide, slide out