Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Slide out supports

The wife and I have been using RVs since 1980. We have purchased a new 2015 Itasca 37f that in the next couple of years plan on going full timing in.

When we picked up the coach the dealer recommended that if we start to stay at a camp site for more then a few weeks that we should purchase slide out supports for the 3 slide outs.

I think I can count on one hand how many times I have seen them used on a RV and have never seen them used on a class A.

My question is should I use them and what experiences have people had by using them or not using them when camping for a few weeks or longer at a time?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Slide out supports are (IMHO) a waste of money. I have stayed for a long time with the slides out, and no ill effects from it.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
NO!!
If you rig shifts and the supports don't it can damage the slide and mechanism. In fact most, if not all MH manufacturers say not to use them. Maybe on the old tip out units but not the latest slide outs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Mr_D I have been living in my MH this time for 14 months and have not felt the need to use them. In the past 14 months we have had a few small earthquakes in OKlahoma and I am thinking the way the coach rocked from them it would not have been good if my slides were on a seperate support. We have had some serious wind gusts which rocked the coach pretty well. Slide supports would have damaged something I think by now.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #5

I agree with the previous posters. I would never let anything touch the slide. With auto level, airbags, settling jacks and any number of things could cause the coach to settle . I don't believe the slide would survive any kind of force and would cost a fortune if damaged. I would question any other advise this gentleman gave you.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree. The only place I've seen them is on tag trailers that are being used as park models. Motorhomes and 5vers, waste of money.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
No, for the reasons already stated.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out