Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #15

With the brake disabled, manual actuation was possible. I'm sure the motor would have spun if engergized. It's a moot point now. The motor has been damaged and too weak to be of use.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll post results when I get the new motor installed. Hope this is the end of it.

I NEED my slide out!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Did you try rotating the clutch. In case you don't know what that is, it's the lever-looking thing on the end of the motor. But you rotate like trying to unscrew a jar lid. One way unlocks a brake so that the slideout can be manually operated. Try running the motor with your jumper/battery setup with the clutch turned ccw and cw. It only rotates about 20 degrees.

sounds like the OP has a new motor on order. I am curious though about what you said here and would like to ask a question for my own information. Is the brake deenergized ( allows slide to move) by a separate voltage from the motor of if you apply power to the motor to energize it does the same voltage release the brake.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #17

If I understand the brake mechanism, it is some kind of mechanical device that disconnects the motor from drive gears, allowing manual actuation of the slide with a wrench. It is a motor bypass mechanism. Nothing electrical.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #18

Lovely.....juuuuust lovely.

Looks like this weeks long wait was for nothing, as it seems Camping World has sent me the wrong part. The lady did tell me the part mumber was updated. Yet, it's very obvious the mounting locations on the unit are completely different.

What a friggin' hassle!!

Why do something once when you can do it twice!

As you can see, my original motor has two mounting points on each side of the gear drive and each side mounts to a structural metal plate on the coach. The updated motor has all four mounting points on one side of the gear drive.

I guess they just expect me to completely fab a new mounting system for their UPDATED part number.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just out of curiosity did you check with some of the places that rebuild motors around where you are at to see if they could rebuild it or find a motor that would fit.

My son had a problem with the alternator on his BMW motorcycle the shaft was bad and we had to replace the rotor. I went to my local motor rebuilder and he told me he could get the shaft for 185.00 I told him to order it and he had me wait while he checked on the price for a new alternator. He told me he could get the same Bausch alternator new for 225.00 we checked the numbers and everything so I had him order it. When it came in it was the same alternator that BMW wanted 650.00 for.

A lot of companies order off the shelf parts that an electric motor rebuilder can get the same off the shelf unit for a lot less money.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #20

No, I didn't.

At this point, I am going to call Visone and see if they have one used in their bone yard. They are slow as honey in winter on response time and shipping, though.

I need to get the same dang part. I guess PowerGear no longer makes this unit.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #21

Called Camping World and filled them in. The guy asked me to email him a picture of my bad motor to send to PowerGear and, as it turns out, they say they must have sent me the wrong part and they do have a perfect match replacement that they will send off....go figure.

At least they still make them. Ughhh!

Another week wait and the snow is getting deeper...
Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Just another reason why I stay away from Camping World for that type of service or parts.

They have no clue and it doesn't matter where they are in the country, they all seem to be the same.

BTW, I checked all over southern CA a number is years back when I needed one for my kitchen slide as to whether someone could rebuild the motor. I had no luck in finding anyone and I checked a dozen or more places.

I finally found a gentleman in Riverside who dealt in Power Gear Slide-Out motors. He got me the correct motor at a very reasonable price.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Just another reason why I stay away from Camping World for that type of service or parts.

They have no clue and it doesn't matter where they are in the country, they all seem to be the same.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
the one in Little Rock Arkansas after they got their new manager has been doing a good job. He has hired mechanics that are very knowledgeable and they work they have done for me has been very good.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If pressing the switch gives battery or near battery voltage at the slide out motor (positive one way negative the other) then the switch and the controller are working properly.

The motor is the issue.. OR.. The brake.. yes there is a brake.

Now on the end of the motor is a lever.. Try moving it to it's other position and see if the slide moves.. If it does, it's the brake.

Sadly the brake and motor are an "Assembly" I do not know if one can be replaced without the other.

That said. I suspect the motor.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
What happens with these power gear units is with the bearing bores inside the gear case become oblongated, so that they will usually run under no load on the bench, but will bind up when under load. This you can't even see with disassembly and things usually look to be fine and normal. Word of caution in case you do disassemble it, the bearing sockets are full of needle bearings, so lay everything out on a white sheet before you even think about beginning.
As for replacing, it's a piece of cake, but the ass'y itself and only sold as a whole unit, costs more than the whole cake and then some. Still, that would be my recommendation, so just find what you can for the best price possible and don't buy used. They seem to last for some years and then they're done.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #26

Finally got the replacement motor unit, well almost correct.

I took the old motor off and put the new one in with no issue, except when clocking the motor to match up with the existing holes on the plate steel mounting bracket, one on the rear side of the coach did not line up.

So, I had the three on the front side of the coach line up fine with only one of the two mounting points on the gear drive casting line up with an existing hole on the mounting plate.

Fortunately, the one casting bung did end up against the steel mounting plate so I can just drill a new hole and all is good.

I also had to clip the new motor's wiring connector off and use the original connector from the bad motor. Easy cheesey.

Back in business.........FINALLY!!

Now, a new problem popped up. It's been raining cats and friggin' dogs here in Ohio.

Once I was able to get the slide out....out, I found water on the floor near the kitchen sink area.

Any 1999 HR Endeavor owners with the driver side kitchen slide out have any ideas about where the water is coming from?

TIA

Tags
slide, slide out