Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slide out without jacks down?

I was reading the latest thread on Walmart camping and someone's suggestion that they put their slides out without putting their jacks down and I wondered if that's a wise thing to do? I've always heard that you shouldn't put the slides out without making sure the coach is level or the slide could bind and stick. My owners manual says to level the coach with the jacks before putting the slides out. Any thoughts on the wisdom of this and how level is level enough to put out a slide?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is going to depend on your coach for one thing. Some coach manufacturers have you put your slides out before you level.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I expect most Walmart parking lots are level enough that putting out the slides would be a non-issue. I've done it that way plenty of times.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree that levelers should be down when slides are out... BUT... how many dealer lots and/or expos do you see where they practice this rule? Just sayin...
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I expect most Walmart parking lots are level enough that putting out the slides would be a non-issue. I've done it that way plenty of times.
I suspect you are right for most cases but I have stayed at two Walmarts, both in Minnesota, where the parking lots were terrible. My real question isn't about Walmart, it is about how level do you need to be to make sure you don't damage the slides?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #6

It is a two part question maybe.

Jacks can damage the Walmart parking lots. I see owners not using jack pads to spread the loads all the time, on asphalt, gravel, and other non concrete parking surfaces. Some coaches might not be the best for extending slides without jacks per the owner's manuals. I have even seen at the factory parking lot, where the coaches are backed into the rear curb, how the pavement has settled from the weight of the rear axles always parked in the same place.

We have a family member that owns a paving company, he likes to redo parking lots, the bigger the better.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What may happen when coach not level FWS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #8

Our Beaver - air bags keep rig level, slides go out first & then jacks extend down & onto axle. No sinking into soft/hot asphalt, gravel, etc. with jacks. WM friendly.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #9

We have a 2004 Four Winds Class A Motorhome and you can not put your sides out with the jacks down. You must put the sides out then the jacks. Why they have it this way, I do not know. Instructions says to put the sides out then the jacks. This is the only way the sides will work.
kyrv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigls2 View Post
My owners manual says to level the coach with the jacks before putting the slides out.
My owners manual says the same thing, so that's what I do.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If I was reasonably level I might put out the small bedroom slide, so I could use and get around the bed, but I would not put out the longer slides, especially the full wall slide. The small slide only has one motor and gear. Getting the motors re-synced on the multiple motor and gear slides is an art, best left to the factory techs, and I'm not going to risk messing things up unnecessarily.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #12

I don't understand the logic of putting the slides out first then leveling. So if you are on a good slope you put the slide out it twists, binds up, possibly bends something. Then you leve the MH and hope that everything is okay? I'll always level first then put my slides out. I kinda like the idea that I haven't twisted something when I try to bring the slides in. What if they won't retract?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm pretty anal about some things and following instructions...its a curse.

Still...if I am on level ground like most any large parking lot I will dump the bags and put out my passenger side slides if needed. Mostly I just would put out my passenger side BR for access to some drawers or maybe moving a big object into the BR.

Putting down the jacks in places like a Walmart is just not right. I still put down 2X12X24 boards under my jacks most of the time. The only time I don't use those boards that is if I am on gravel and it is only for stays of 1 or 2 nights.

Each to there own.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I don't understand the logic of putting the slides out first then leveling. So if you are on a good slope you put the slide out it twists, binds up, possibly bends something. Then you leve the MH and hope that everything is okay? I'll always level first then put my slides out. I kinda like the idea that I haven't twisted something when I try to bring the slides in. What if they won't retract?
I agree. Most manufacturers advise to level coach b4 extending slides. Monaco even says to level with air bags not jacks b4 extending slides to avoid possible frame twist & torque from the slide weight.