Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
With the four slides in ours, I have as much living space as I had in an apartment I was renting in Wash DC a few years ago (It was small, but expensive). I cannot imagine an RV without them at this point.

2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Thanks everyone for your responses! Seriously, I thought I'd have to research this a little more - but after such positive responses and informed opinions I think I have my answer! Now it's time for me to nerdo-engineero my way around the various types, brands and mechanical deference's out there. Kinda like that part too!! Thanks again, I look forward to revisiting this forum often!

robgrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Get a MH that has no locks or electric locks and no problems. Well, usually unless the elec locks quit working. We have the manual locks and the only time I latch them is if they rattle.
its a manual lock bar... no biggie really. Had to put a label by the slide buttons to remind myself.
Ive seen rigs motoring down the highway with 12" of slide sticking out. Not sure how that happens as you would think a safety switch will kill the engine.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newmar has the most experience with production slides, having started them in 1990. We enjoy our trouble free slides.
1995 Roadtrek 19 Versatile
Dodge 318
1975 GMC Eleganza II
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
I have a 99 with out slides and we have always thought what the heck, it's paid for, has been for years so why do I need a slide? when ever we camped with friends that had slides we are always at their place. one night I told DW while walking home, glad we didn't have a slide because when I get tired I don't have to wait for someone to go home so i can go to bed. Well about a month ago, DW said since we might be going to AZ for the winter we might be needing a slide or two. SO that was my hint to get started looking. I over heard my daughter tall mom that our place is always the hub of the camp ground so we might as well get a TT with three or four slides. This thing just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #20
robgritch - Slides add greatly to the interior size of motor homes. But they do add weight and complication. Earlier this year our front slide rubber seal came out and it cost $2,200 to fix it. But we have two drivers side slides and we would not buy a motor home without two drivers side slides.

After very careful consideration a bit over two years ago we decided we did not want a passenger side front slide. We are not sorry we made that decision. And we went an extra 2' longer than we expected to make up for the passenger side rear slide. IMHO the advantages of no passenger side slides are great. 1. Less weight. 2. Less cost. 3. Less complication. 4. Far easier access to basement storage areas. 5. No slide in patio area. 6. Bus structure with slides only on one side is a much sturdier bus. Many will argue that the more slides the better. We don't. We like two.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #21
Solo Rvers Club
Had it both ways. Slides equal much, much, much more livability. The more time you spend, the more space you need. My 2 cents
'07 Itasca 35L/W22 FULL-TIMING
1000 Trails - VFW - 5 Yrs Army
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #22
Country Coach Owners Club
2 slides here and have had no problems. If you are going to get another coach check out rv.org it will be the best money you've spent on an rv. On with or with out slides all they really do is give you some room to keep from tripping over your partner. If I was single or traveling alone I'd have a smaller coach and no slides. How ever make sure you're putting your money in a good product.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smile Slides or not

Our previous Holiday Rambler had no slides. Didn't seem to bother "me".
One day when I was surfing the web she saw a Holiday Rambler that she "wouldn't mind having" cause it had 2 slides.
We did it.
The only option we would have had to add if I didn't get the slides was a "divorce attorney."

Slides are cheaper !!
Joe from Ct.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #24
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How does that song go... Let me tell you the story of a man named Charlie and that tragic and... Opps. wrong song.

Let me tell you MY story (My name is John) .. I have a motor home with 3 slide, two of them are Accu-Slide "Cable cars" pulled in and out by a set of 8 cables, These work fairly well (less you have a screw (Well nut) fall off or a cable break) Both of which are really fairly minor. I would recommend having a cable replacement kit in stock.

The third is s Power Gear Rack & Pinion, which was. (Emphasis) a PITA (Pain In The Anatomy) for the first few years but has since, thanks to someone knows more than I here on the forums, been tamed.

The major issue is the rollers under the slide.. They have worn and allowed the bedroom slide to drop a bit, breaking the seal at the top and allowing the rain to enter... I have since managed to fix it by modifying the seal,, Eventually I'll ahve to replace the rollers.

The big Power Gear slide, like to shear quarter inch #8 bolts like they were toothpicks. I bought 'em by the dozen.. Got right good at replacing 'em too.

last time I did two things different.

1: I shortened the square shaft a bit, re-drilling the holes for the bolt, so they were once again ROUND instead of oval (They become oval with breaking of bolts)

2: I bought longer bolts. On the longer bolts the smooth "Shank" of the bolt is long enough to go all the way through the square shaft. This means that I had to use multiple lock washers to get it to tighten down,, but I did get it to tighten down, NYLOCK nuts make sure it stays tight. I have yet to replace one of these bolts.

But having a LARGE living room, and a bedroom with a queen size bed where the headbord is aginast one side and a wardrobe opposite is very nice.

One thing I will advise.. Unless you are single.. Look for a bath and a half model. Mine is, From the rear up I have a full width "Main Bath, Toilet (Macerator type) Dual lav, Shower and assorted closets/wardrobes. and drawers and cabinets. This is 2x tath I had in my house. I very likely could sub a tub for that shower if I wished.

It has it's own 36 Gallon "Wash-Gray" tank (This is different from a standard Gray tank in that some places will let you dump WASH water on the ground where as GRAY (Which contains food particles) Must be sewered like Black).

Then the bedroom, with wardrobe and TV. When Bed and Wardrobe are both pulled in (Road mode) there is no access to the rear bath. So foreward of the bed is a short hall (Cabinets, Washer Dryer if you have it, Main power distribution panel and sensor display etc panel) and the half bath. (Accessable in road mode) Then the main living area (Dinette, Kitchen, Great room) and finally the cockpit.

There are things I do not like, but I do love that "2 holes no waiting" .
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #25
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't add much except that 13 years of use there have been no problems. By me or previous owners. DW and I would not be without them!
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #26
Country Coach Owners Club
Slides are great if you need more interior space and or a higher resale opportunity.

It seems as folks gravitate from camping to RVing, they want more of their house features to go on the trip with them.

They can be inside when it rains, it is too windy, too dusty, too warm, too cold, too noisy, too early, too late, to be outside and be as comfortable as they were if they had stayed home.

How can slides be bad?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #27
The first thing to look at on a unit with slides is how and what they block when retracted. I have three slides and the only thing I can't get to with them in are the bedroom wardrobe drawers and the under sink cabinet. Neither is a concern.
I saw a fifth wheel at the Tampa show last year that one of the slides completely blocked the door to the bathroom when retracted. Obviously a problem on a quick stop for lunch, blocked on one side, etc.
I am not that happy with the kitchen slide as it takes up some of the patio area and necessitates an awning mounted on the roof curve rather than the sidewall and the fact that the awning goes out almost level so shade is limited and requires a ladder to hang lights.
Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #28

Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Get a MH that has no locks or electric locks and no problems. Well, usually unless the elec locks quit working. We have the manual locks and the only time I latch them is if they rattle.

Get one with no electric locks, they brake and headache.

agilityaussi is offline   Reply With Quote