Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

Slide outs... Seeking advice

Hi there, I've been full-timing in my older MH for the past 1.5+ years doing contract engineering work and see this going on for a bit longer than I originally thought. Love it actually!! I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger/newer MH with more room etc. I've heard conflicting stories concerning slide outs, ranging from more trouble their worth to the best thing ever. I certainly love the space they afford, but I wonder about maintenance issues and weather tightness... Like everything, I assume slide out technology has improved over the years, so... Here's my question. Are there common gotchya's I should know about when looking for my new ride? Possible better systems/brands etc I should take into consideration? Cable vs hydraulic, motorized... Are there even hand crank systems? Any experience, opinions, advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

I'll guess that you'll get responses 10 to 1 in favor of slides. IMO many who say they aren't worth the hassle or maintenance have never owned a newer rig with modern slides. We have four and wouldn't give up any one of them.

HWH is one of the major suppliers of today's hydraulic slides. We will soon need to have the nylon slides replaced in ours but for the most part they have been trouble free in the nearly five years we've owned the coach.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #3

Slides advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, as far as I'm concerned. Much more living area with slides. And with dual slides in the living area, usable space is HUGE.

All slides do require some maintenance. They tend to be a potential for water leaks. The rubber moldings do fail due to mechanical and age related failures. Slide toppers definitely help regarding water infiltration. Rubber moldings can (and should) be replaced periodically (maybe after 5-8 years if you see problems). Maybe a few hundred $'s, not a few thousand $'s to replace.

Also, you can do a lot yourself to maintain the slides by lubricating the slides and moldings with the appropriate lubricants, which are readily available in any RV shop.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There is very little maintenance on a slide, despite what you may have heard. The mechanism itself, whether gear or hydraulic, is robust, slow moving and infrequently used, so routine lubrication isn't even required. Weather seals can benefit from the usual things to extend the life of rubber, but they really need no more maintenance than the similar seals on your car doors. The main problems with slides is that the 'wiper' rubber along the sides and top may detach or tear, and the slide topper (which keeps debris off the roof) can say, tear, or just plain wear out from weathering. Neither of these is a big deal, in my opinion, but it is two more things to keep an eye on than in a rig that has no slides.

It's kind of like power windows in a car. They aren't a necessity but they sure are handy to have. And yes, they are one more mechanical thing that can go wrong, but did I mention they sure are nice?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As you mentioned, slide technology has indeed come a long ways in the last 10 or so years. The naysayers who tend to point out issues with slides, ie; leaking, problems with structure integrity, and other past problems from early technology, have probably never been in one of the newer motor homes with huge full-wall slides or any slides for that matter. There is no disputing the fact that probably ALL new motor homes are manufactured with at least one slide, minimum. Many with even four or five! It is the only way to go when considering the purchase of a new or used motor home, in my opinion. Visit your local RV dealer, then decide for yourself.

Bronk
Old 02-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I love my slideouts. All 4 of them. Even that 16" by 32 inch flush floor drivers side slide, that groans like an old woman every time it comes up the last 3" before it seals home. Worth every penny, and every potential for service or maintenance needs.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello robgrich, welcome to the forum. You have some good answers above. All I'll add is that my coach has four slides and that was one of the criteria when we bought the coach.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrich View Post
Hi there, I've been full-timing in my older MH for the past 1.5+ years doing contract engineering work and see this going on for a bit longer than I originally thought. Love it actually!! I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger/newer MH with more room etc. I've heard conflicting stories concerning slide outs, ranging from more trouble their worth to the best thing ever. I certainly love the space they afford, but I wonder about maintenance issues and weather tightness... Like everything, I assume slide out technology has improved over the years, so... Here's my question. Are there common gotchya's I should know about when looking for my new ride? Possible better systems/brands etc I should take into consideration? Cable vs hydraulic, motorized... Are there even hand crank systems? Any experience, opinions, advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Howdy and welcome to the forum! I see that most of the responses already given are what I would have said, so I won't bother. Slides are great. I don't believe there are any hand-crank systems, although some types have a way to manually close the slide if the motor should fail.

If you are looking at a "gently used" newer moho, be sure to operate the slide mechanism and check for any previous leaks. Good luck to you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was wary of having slides. But they really do add usable space.
My only complaint is remembering to remove the locks before deploying.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I was wary of having slides. But they really do add usable space.
My only complaint is remembering to remove the locks before deploying.
Get a MH that has no locks or electric locks and no problems. Well, usually unless the elec locks quit working. We have the manual locks and the only time I latch them is if they rattle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine has no slides but from what I have seen they look great. I've been in MHs with slides and I thought it did add a lot of extra space, even a few feet make a big difference in a MH. If you don't mind the extra weight and minimal maintenance they seem great!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #12

Slides are great. I have 4. That said if it is only yourself living in a RV you might consider an older 45 foot Prevost conversion. Saw a very clean no slide example near Tampa Fl while I was attending the Tampa Super RV show. Coachworx was asking $239K. It was over $1M new. DITTO on the Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #13

Hey Rob welcome to the forum. Having had RV's without slides and those with them, would be a deal breaker if there were no slides.

Had a tioga with no slides, was just to small. Went to Fivers, 98 King of the road with one slide, great improvement. 2001 King 38 foot with 2 slides, awesome. 2001 Coachmen Mirada, 1 slide great.

2001 Expedition, current, Diesel Pusher, 2 slides Awesome. Of all the RV's no problems with the slides. Sprayed the rubber seals with appropriate conditioners and never had a leak. The Expedition had a problem with a detached frame member lower left as you look at it when I bought it. MB Thomas and the crew removed the facia and re-attached the lower frame, bolt had worked loose, and it works perfectly.

As I said wouldn't consider a unit without slides, so much more room.

Just my unorganized thoughts
Happy trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #14

Our 38' Allegro Bus has 3 slides, both hydraulic and electric and in 7 years we never had a issue/problem. We traded a very nice Monaco Dynasty with no slides to get the Bus and we consider it one of the best RV decisions we ever made. Go for it, you'll like it!!

Tags
slide