Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Slide outs without jack

Hi all, could you please remind me if it is ok to pull our slides out for short period of time without engaging the leveling jacks?

Nxkharra is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #2

Although I have a Fleetwood my manual and dealer informed me not to pull the rooms out without leveling. I believe there is a good chance the room will be one jammed or jump off the track if its not completely level. I am sure others will chime in. Good luck.

Good things come to those that wait.
jtermini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
Monaco's yes, most others no.
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I got mine stuck by adjusting the jacks after the slide was out .Now I make sure it is level before I open it . It is really scarey when the slide won't move .So don't do it .
1999 Georgie Boy Landau 3512 on Ford F53
2006 Mazda Tribute ,2001 Goldwing
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
When I am level I do it with my Newmar dsdp,have had no problems.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #6

Ours have to be be level... it is the schwintek system. I guess it all depends on the system used and how big the slide....
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
...and how much off of being level.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
On ours there are warning signs that caution you to level prior to extending the slides. That being said when I did my walk through I noticed that the jacks were not deployed but the slides were extended so I questioned the dealer...their response, "the coach was sitting on level concrete"

I do not extend the slides without leveling the coach.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Interesting topic. I have moved our slides out without extending the jacks. I only do this when the coach is fairly level and I am not concerned about frame twist (i.e. on pavement and not in a grass field). Interesting note, at most rv shows such as the one at Hershey PA only a very few had their jacks extended. Might have something to do with the rules of the show. Touring a new coach with 5-10 other people inside and no jacks can be interesting. There was one lady that was prone to motion sickness and she had to get out of a class A coach due to the side-to-side rocking. Little hard to sell her after that...lol
Ian, Debi, Shannon, Brendan and Dillan

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood expedition 38n, forgot one time to level, a piece of trim just below the front drivers side slide popped off when I engaged the slide to go out. There is far more flex going in when these big slides move!! I get amazed at dealers that move slides without a thought of this. To me level is only part of the deal!! Think how much weight is being shifted to one side or the other!! Level and extend the life of your home!!!! GlenB
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
dealer putting slides out

our dealer has all the slides open on all of their stock, without any jacks down. our new unit had a leak in the gray pipe that runs under the streetside slide. coincidence? I think not. we had a fleetwood wilderness and were told to always put the jacks down. we now own a jayco eagle that is being serviced after 2 days of use. IMHO, don't put your slide out without the jacks in place.
momto6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
The frame is stabilized with the jacks down, and allows the slide mechanism to stay in line during wait shift when slide is in action. Doing anything other is always taking a risk, you determine if the risk of stressing your slide mechanism is worth it.
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
Fleetwood Owners Club
If I am on level ground I have extended the bedroom slide some to get passage to the rear closet. No Ill effects with that , BUT , I would never put the full wall slide
out without leveling with the jacks . Too great a chance on body twist and a jammed
slide . Of course that opinion is for my Fleetwood model and your brand may vary
08 Diesel Bounder 38V
phranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think All should consult their owners manual or better yet, should make a call to their respective manufacture tech line. As for Monaco they install the slides with no jacks down and therefor Monaco advises to extend slides then jacks and the opposite in return. Jacks first. Lead factory tech told me that it will crease the wall if done improperly and the warranty will not cover improper operation. I am sure other manufactures are different. It is worth a call and not guessing with opinion.

Rusty1233 is offline   Reply With Quote