Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 05:33 AM   #1
epj

Slide problems

Have a new to us 2005 Phaeton 40' with 3 slides. After getting it home, the passenger side slide looked like it had moved away from the body an inch or so at the bottom. It would close back up, but won't stay. Now, the slide will only extend 3-4" and stops. It will retract, but still has that bottom gap. Any ideas?
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You would probably get more accurate response if you posted this in the Tiffin owner's forum or in the tiffinrvnetwork.com

Also, yours is probably a hydraulic activated slide, but you might want to post that information as an update. It sounds like the slide operating system is out of adjustment, but I am not even close to being competent enough to diagnose.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #3
Commercial Member

download a service manual for your system. it should help with the diagnostics.
if its a hwh slide, it should be a above floor mechanism. the retract solenoid is leaking internally. this style is called a b room. the cylinder extends to retract the room.
an a room retracts cylinder to retract the room. in that case, the extend solenoid would be the leaking solenoid.
please feel free to call me at 502-549-3638. i can help.
i do work for hwh.
i do only diagnostics on this site. i do not sell parts or solicit service.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
epj

The slide appears to be electric. The motor runs and then just stops, as though there were a limit switch malfunctioning. The motor is in the basement and appears to have been replaced fairly recently.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #5

Slide problem

Call Tiffin Service at 502-356-0261. Have the last 7 numbers of your vin handy.

Could also be a thermal breaker located in last bay passenger side.
Good luck
connlonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Do you have the Tiffin supplied information (owner's manual(s)) packet. The previous owner should have left that with the motor home. In that collection of manuals and what not, should be one specifically for the slide outs and will provide you with sufficient info to do a DIY inspection and possible fix/repair.

HWH is a little difficult to get a hold of on the phone/internet...so just be patient, they'll finally get around to you.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
epj

I have been in touch with Tiffin. After performing the checks they suggested I have ruled out electric. The slide is coming to a solid mechanical stop of some sort. When I push the button, I can hear the relays pull in and the slide tries to move. It's only moving about 2" at the bottom and about 1" at the top. I've looked throughly for obstructions inside and can't see anything. Nothing stored in the basement to interfere with it, but I'll get a good light and look some more. Any ideas appreciated.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
epj

Nothing I can see. Could the brake on the motor be the problem?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Have you tried looking under the slide with a mirror and light or a flexible inspection camera to see if there any obstructions?
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
epj

No real way I can see to look, other than from underneath the slide in the basement. The rails appear to be unobstructed.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #11
epj

Slide problem solved

Problem solved. There is a gear on the motor to drive the slide. It is pinned to the motor shaft. The pin had backed out and was hitting the frame and locking down the motor. Took about 30 seconds to fix.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Fantastic. Good job.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, slide