Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
National RV Owners Club
Slide Rubber Seals

The Rubber Seals on my slideouts never are completely in or out, and I'm not really sure which way they're supposed to be in order to keep rain from entering during a windy rainstorm. I'll attempt to post pictures to show what I mean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1 (2).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	69139

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2 (2).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	69140
By "out" I mean with the edge of the seal lying flat against the slide, and "in" is with the slide curled inward.

Coach: '05 National TropiCal T370 Toad: '07 Saturn Aura Blog:On The Road With Dar 'n' Don
michguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Clean your slide walls and lube the seals with dry silicon spray.
The seals should be out when slides are extended.

2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor "The scooter II"
TBS-POPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Thor Owners Club
I use baby powder on the outside and inside rubber seal ... but every once in a while a seal will catch.....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
I would spray some "303" on each side of the slide-outs, too. The rubber will flip to the correct position better if the slides are slippery and clean. You can use the "303" on the rubber seals, too. \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Our seals used to do that, too. One of the forums on this GREAT site recommended to wash and wax (with a carnauba paste wax) all 4 sides of the slide, then to use a product like 303 or Protect-All on the rubber seals. In between "real" wax jobs, I spray the 303 or Protect-All onto a small dust mop, and rub the sides of the slides, including the seals, and it has worked for us.
Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If we are parked for an extended stay and the seals are not totally facing outwards, I use a yardstick and run the stick upwards to position the rubber seal to the outwards configuration. Even with the use of a lubricant and/or powder, they sometimes remain "folded" . The stick approach works easily, but for a short (overnight) stay, I don't bother with repositioning.

bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Thanks to y'all. I'll get some "303" right away. And, I'll clean up my slides and seals.
Coach: '05 National TropiCal T370 Toad: '07 Saturn Aura Blog:On The Road With Dar 'n' Don
michguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
I recently saw pictures of an RVer who had a slide rebuilt by OMC. OMC stuck on a little plastic bead with adhesive on a flat side, of the sort you may stick under the corners of a heavy statue to keep it from scratching a wood table, on the side of the slide. The seal catches on the bead and that flips it out to the correct position. Someone posted they found what looks like the beads at Walmart.

Hope this helps
Southpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have manual awning, use the hook to fold out the seals. Works great!!!

2002 Pace Arrow 37a

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ
ivan_drago is offline   Reply With Quote

seal, slide