Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Slide topper fabric tear

Just noticed a small tear at a seam on one of our slide toppers Should we tape it....or will that cause more issues when we retracted it? Sewing it could be a challenge!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #2

If it's a seam that's come "un-sewn", and the material is still good, you can take the awning off and take it to an upholstery shop and have it re-stitched. I've done this before with good results.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Small tears... Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac permanent adhesive. Available at Joanne"s fabrics or maybe other craft/fabric shops. The stuff really works. I had threads wera out, glued them and it lasted several years.

Removing and resewig is the way all the Care Free awnings will go eventually. They used cheap thread. GOOD NEWS...there is now a Sunbrella approved thread that is PFTE (Teflon) that is supposed to be good for fifteen years. I did the research on awning and boat canvas forums. Found the thread in a sample size from a supplier in Miami,FL for about $25, it normally is sold for shop sizes at around $125. Did all three awnings, double seams, and a lot smaller stitches than original. It should last the life of the fabric.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #4

It's relatively easy to replace the slide topper if it is an A&E topper. There is a company in CA that supplies replacement Sunbrella toppers made top fit your coach. They are inexpensive when compared to Camping world prices. We replaced all of ours 3 years ago with no prblems at all. The compnay is Shadepro. Here is their web site if you're interested. ShadePro Inc.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #5

Had all of mine done using the Sunbrella material in an RV Park in Corpus last winter because they were shredded due to old age. (kinda like me)
Since me and ladders do not like each other, I had a guy come to the site with his own laddder, took them off, and came back two days later to install them. Color matched to the main awning (which was replaced with same material by previous owner) and look real nice. All in for cash $400.00 AND, I did't have to argue with my ladder.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Awning tape from any rv part store works great on small tears. Virtually invisible, and lasts.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #7

Have used RV Goop from Walmart on bottom of edge which works for at least 2 years. I crawl on top of slide out to put RV Goop on wall side. 04 Essex still orginal slide out covers. Use coach 200 plus days a year. Care Free of Colorado are the slide out covers.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #8

I put 303 Protectant on my boat cover threads and they didn't rot out anymore. Will do my MH when it cools off some.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:42 AM   #9

Twomed - Your post is music to my ears, I mean 'eyes' (... well, you know what I mean). The correct thread will make all the difference in the world. The fabric is still in great shape, it's just the thread that keeps breaking down.

I did a bunch of googling and finally found GoreTex Tenera thread, which is what I believe you are referring-to. Does that name sound right? It must be the right stuff because it costs $130 for a spool! Any chance you may remember the name of the store where you got it?

Did you run across a source for the white plastic cord (I believe it's called 'piping') that the fabric ends are wrapped around at each end and goes in the channels? Mine are in pretty-good shape but I figured I'd replace them while I was in there.

Many thanks for your help!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Replacing the nylon tube (piping) would be a waste. Having done 8-10 topper covers and never replacing an inch of nylon and further, with no problems caused by the old nylon - waste of time & money.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #11

How do you mean that, Hal?

Are you saying the nylon piping is essentially indestructible? That would be a very pleasant thing, to find that SOMETHING on these coaches won't self-destruct!

Or do you mean it's so poorly-made it's not worth using again?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
Twomed - Your post is music to my ears, I mean 'eyes' (... well, you know what I mean). The correct thread will make all the difference in the world. The fabric is still in great shape, it's just the thread that keeps breaking down.

I did a bunch of googling and finally found GoreTex Tenera thread, which is what I believe you are referring-to. Does that name sound right? It must be the right stuff because it costs $130 for a spool! Any chance you may remember the name of the store where you got it?

Did you run across a source for the white plastic cord (I believe it's called 'piping') that the fabric ends are wrapped around at each end and goes in the channels? Mine are in pretty-good shape but I figured I'd replace them while I was in there.

Many thanks for your help!

Google a company called "Sailrite". They have an online web site that any of the above products can be purchased, including the sunbrella fabric. I used to be in the sailboat business, sales, service, also sail maker and canvas worker. They sell Dacron uv thread in different quantities, piping, etc. prices are very reasonable.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Bad link....I'm working on it for you.

Much less $$$ than the big rolls.

Same as Tenara...different maufacturer. Outlasts all dacron by miles. Google Solarfix thread for more info.

http://www.miamicorp.com/products/MA.../SOLARFIX.aspx

Ta da...it finally worked!! The 1360 thread size you can use on a home machine or quilter. The 2000 is heavier and may cause problems feeding in your machine. The sample spool is natural white..almost exactly what my Carefree thread was in color.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
I tried awning tape with poor results. I found that clear duct tape worked great. Clean the are as best you can first.

Tags
slide