Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-11-2015, 04:43 AM   #1
Slide topper water pooling

We picked up a new Mirada last month with two slides. Both are Carefree of C.

In the previous 18 hours we had 3/4 to over an inch of steady rain. I noticed the awnings were sagging on the end do I slowly pulled the slides in and had a localized Niagara Falls event.

We never had this problem with our other MH. But it had shorter slides

Anyone experience this? Are the slides too long or maybe too loose? The MH was parked on our driveway with the levelers down and it was perfectly level. I checked with my level in multiple places because we just had our dealer recalibrate the system.

Thanks for your help.

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley takes me.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, Western New York
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
I'm thinking about putting some swimming "noodles" between the slide & the topper, on mine, to elevate it enough to let the water run off. May even have to stack some up to get high enough to create a gentle grade for the water to run.
If it takes more than one to get proper distance from end to end, it may be prudent to not let them stick out the ends. Water may follow the noodle back up underneath the awning & pool on the slide.

malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:49 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My previous coach did that. Before pulling in the slides, I got on the roof and swept the water off the slides.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Common problem with most/many slide toppers. Manufacturers have built the slide rooms so that you have higher ceilings so there is too little gradient from the topper attachment on the coach and the roller on the slide. My coach has the Carefree Summit system which has a center bar that raises up when the slide goes out, putting a peak in the middle of the topper. Even with that, water pools between the peak and the coach wall.

Some of the high end class A's have the roller mounted high on the coach wall so the topper deploys like a window shade. That keeps the roller assembly up and out of the way so water will run off.

I've seen pool noodles, beach balls, etc, stuffed under slide toppers. I am always very careful when I bring my slides in after a rain. I stop them halfway in and let the water drain off so it does not end up in the coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
YUP--fairly common problem with longer toppers--unless the rig manufacturer/ installer allows for significant slope, water starts to collect, the toppers sag in the middle, and more and more water collects. Tightening the topper springs doesnt work as it is a design issue for longer toppers to sag in the middle. Noodles or other inflatables are a possibility but what a pain to place and remove each time you stop--PS--then dont forget to remove them or bad things will happen [smile]......
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #6
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
YUP PS--then dont forget to remove them or bad things will happen [smile]......
Yeah, thought about that too.
I ALWAYS do a "walk-around", looking up and down, all over the coach before retracting the slides, or jacks. Even if just in the Wal Mart parking lot overnight.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
My previous coach did that. Before pulling in the slides, I got on the roof and swept the water off the slides.

My coach does the same and I sweep them off as well. Kind of a pain, but better then water in the coach under the slide where you can't dry it off.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pretty common with almost any of the larger slides. I've tried inflatable pool floats to prop up the center, and that's OK for longer term stays, but mostly we just let the water cascade off when bringing the slide in.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #9
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Here's a link to an iRV2 thread for a modification that can be made for some topper mounting brackets to, among other effects, increase the pitch of the topper. Some posts in the thread also imply that Carefree may offer some parts for this purpose.

As you have a different coach and possibly a different topper model, this information may not apply.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This was my solution!

Slide Topper Awning Support

One more thing. If your awning is long then you will need to make two shorter supports, putting one in each end of the slideout. Otherwise you will have too much sag in the middle, even with the 1/2" EMT pipe inside!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

slide, water