Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #1

Slide won't retract in.

I have a 2008 Discovery MH, Model 40X having 3 slides. I'm at a campground and ready to leave and the kitchen slide (approx. 16') will not come in. All other slides work fine. When pushing the slide button it moves about an inch or so at the bottom but does not come away from the wall inside at the top of the slide. I've been underneath the coach and the motor is located in the center of the slide. It rotates the bar to both gears for a few seconds but then stops. The motor isn't hot and does not sound like under a strain. The gear drive appears to be okay too. Any help from you out there would be greatly appreciated.
Dean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #2

Since you have inspected and found that it is engaging you should try manually retracting it. That would get you going and you could trouble shoot later
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #3

I got stuck in Beaty, Nevada last year and my slide started out but, one end didn't move. One of the hydraulic lines had failed even though the other slide worked. Is the fluid level good in the hydraulic reservoir?
retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Community Administrator

You no doubt have Power Gear Electric system. Here is the operation manual. http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-S0140-00.pdf .

It shows how to manually override the system and also discusses the brake that is on the motor. If that brake is disengaged , the slide won't come in.

Hope this helps.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Since you have inspected and found that it is engaging you should try manually retracting it. That would get you going and you could trouble shoot later
I tried to do it manually. I disconnected the motor and tripped the switch on the end of the motor. I used a 3/4 socket with a 1/2 breaker bar and it only moved a 1/4 turn. I didn't want to force it. There could possibly be something wrong in the gear drive on the motor. So, it won' t come in manually.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired2001 View Post
I got stuck in Beaty, Nevada last year and my slide started out but, one end didn't move. One of the hydraulic lines had failed even though the other slide worked. Is the fluid level good in the hydraulic reservoir?
Thanks for your answer. However, mine is fully electric. Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
You no doubt have Power Gear Electric system. Here is the operation manual. http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-S0140-00.pdf .

It shows how to manually override the system and also discusses the brake that is on the motor. If that brake is disengaged , the slide won't come in.

Hope this helps.

Cliff
Thanks for the help. I did manually override the system but it didn't work manually. I engaged the override at the rear of the motor and it would't come in when pushing the controls on the control panel. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean B
Thanks for the help. I did manually override the system but it didn't work manually. I engaged the override at the rear of the motor and it would't come in when pushing the controls on the control panel. Thanks for your help!
The techs at Power Gear are great and respond quickly to emails ( mon- fri ). I would send them one today and you should be in contact with them as soon as they get in on Mon. Their address is info@powergearus.com.

Please update us when you can.

Cliff

Old 09-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean B View Post
I tried to do it manually. I disconnected the motor and tripped the switch on the end of the motor. I used a 3/4 socket with a 1/2 breaker bar and it only moved a 1/4 turn. I didn't want to force it. There could possibly be something wrong in the gear drive on the motor. So, it won' t come in manually.
Sounds like something fell inside the RV and is jamming the slide.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #10

Is the top of the slide clear of debris? Once I had a tree limb fall and block the slide, took hours before I decided to go up an look, found it and that's all that was stopping the slide....
Just an idea...
RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
Sounds like something fell inside the RV and is jamming the slide.
I removed the motor drive mechanism and connected it to a 12 v battery. I ran perfectly so, I re-installed it and run it back and forth a few times. I heard something pop and the slide came in. I felt brave so I tried putting it out hoping it would come back in. It did and I tried it a few other times. Now everything works okay. Buy the way I did find a rock about the size of a quarter. That could have contributed to the problem however, there is still a small popping noise when the slide is retracted in. Hopefully, the noise will reduce. It could possibly be a screw hanging down from the bottom of the slide dragging on the frame work of the floor. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Great news. Thanks for the update.

Tags
slide