Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #1

Slideout Broke. Little help here!

Long story short. Just got back from our trip to Jawbone, and the brakes were perfect (Thanx all). So after reading the slideout horror stories, we started using the locks. The second time we put them on, someone (no names here) tried to open the slideout with the locks in place. OK, it still works on the left, but the right side (inside looking at the slide) is busted. We just got in, and I haven't even looked at the carnage. Question is........should I survey the damage and try to fix myself, or just take it in and cough up the $$$$$s? Shoulda bought that DP!!!!!!

I have a fix for this issue, so it wont happen again, but that's too late for now.

Dubya

B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I was following along on your brake thread, glad everything is good to go on that, sorry about the slide out problem.

Not familiar with the slide locks, but I would at least take a look at it before you brought to a "dealer"

Couldn't be harder than your brake besides would make for an interesting thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

Hehehehe,,,I have this fear. I hit the slideout button and the slide keeps going. Now I'm sitting on the couch drinking a beer, on the ground with this big hole in the side of what was once a functioning MH. Might make a good taco truck. Hello State Farm!!!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:35 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Do you know what type of slide mechanism you have?
Old 04-18-2016, 10:42 PM   #5

Not yet. We just got home this afternoon. I thought I'd see if I was even capable of fixing this B4 I empty the compartments and crawl in there. Right now I'm just tired and sore, and will need a day or two of recoup, then I'll see what's up. My wife feels really really bad about this, so I thought I'd give her a day or two to get it out of her mind, then we could dig into the mess. She already said she was willing to pay for the fix, but if I can do it, that's what I'll do. Tomorrow the dentist gets my money, so maybe I'll just relax until Wednesday. By then my old bones should be feeling better!!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did that a couple times with the '02 Dutch Star. Luckily no damage done though. I did break one night stand though! I put a pillow behind the slide to keep our cats from getting in behind it when closed. Forgot to take it out when I pushed the deploy button. But then I heard a loud "crack", broke the top in half. Traded it in that way since the dealer said fixing it would be no problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
Not yet. We just got home this afternoon. I thought I'd see if I was even capable of fixing this B4 I empty the compartments and crawl in there. Right now I'm just tired and sore, and will need a day or two of recoup, then I'll see what's up. My wife feels really really bad about this, so I thought I'd give her a day or two to get it out of her mind, then we could dig into the mess. She already said she was willing to pay for the fix, but if I can do it, that's what I'll do. Tomorrow the dentist gets my money, so maybe I'll just relax until Wednesday. By then my old bones should be feeling better!!
I hear ya, relax and recoup, good luck at the dentist
Old 04-20-2016, 10:40 PM   #8

OK. Very simply, sheared a bolt. On the outboard area (near the gears) it seems to be a rather low quality bolt. Near the motor/transmission, the bolts are much higher grade. I'm gonna assume this is done intentionally so the lesser grade bolt shears instead of trashing the internals on the tranny. WooHooo!! I'll get a couple of bolts tomorra. I've already tightened several really loose bolt/nut combos on the entire drive unit. I'll spray some lube on the gears and tracks, align it, and were good to go. Well except for the leaky genny fuel line, the sway bar bushings, the oil and filter, the tranny flush, the leveler controller, the........................!
Old 04-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
I would stick with the shear bolt like you had.
If your crew is like my crew (me included) mistakes can and will be repeated.
Twice I have straightened out the trim around the aft part of the slide because stuff has ended up there and I can't see it when the slide is going out. Both times me on the switch.
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #10

Quote:
OK. Very simply, sheared a bolt. On the outboard area (near the gears) it seems to be a rather low quality bolt. Near the motor/transmission, the bolts are much higher grade. I'm gonna assume this is done intentionally so the lesser grade bolt shears instead of trashing the internals on the tranny. WooHooo!! I'll get a couple of bolts tomorra. I've already tightened several really loose bolt/nut combos on the entire drive unit. I'll spray some lube on the gears and tracks, align it, and were good to go. Well except for the leaky genny fuel line, the sway bar bushings, the oil and filter, the tranny flush, the leveler controller, the........................!
A man's work is never done!
Old 04-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #11

New bolt in, everything lines up, slideout works perfectly. Got 2 extra bolt/nut assemblies in my ditty bag should this ever happen again. Which it wont!! That honeydo list is shrinking drastically. What will I do with my extra time?
Old 04-23-2016, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
What will I do with my extra time?

May I say , more beer ! and ask " need any help"

Tags
slide, slideout