Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gilbert, Az
Posts: 4
Unhappy Slideout on 2003 Fleetwood Excursion

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site, so not sure what I'm doing, but here goes. I have a 2003 Fleetwood Excursion 38 U class A. I've been having problems with the front slide coming back in. Everytime we get set to move, I have to go out and really push against the side while my wife operates the switch. Have had it looked at several times only to find that it still doesn't want to work. Any help I can receive from someone would be greatly appreciated.
Bud Corwin,

Sorry, I forgot to put a few important facts in my post.
(1) It is electrically operated
(2) My batteries are fully charged
(3) Had a higher amp capasitor installed in controller
(4) Switched controllers to make sure it was working
(5) The slide does not require lubricating
__________________

__________________
Irvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
countrypair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 292
Front Slide Problem

Is the slide operated electrically or hydraulic?
__________________

__________________
countrypair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,142
If it's a Power Gear motor, there is a brake. The brake has a lever located under a rubber boot. The lever could be slightly over to the unlock position. It can be repositioned to the lock position. Look for the motor under the slide and the lever is clearly marked. Just move it to the lock position.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
Re Fleetwood slide out problems

I have a 2007 Fleetwood Revolution and am having the same problems as you. My problem is getting my 2 large slide to come in as well. I have to keep switching the switch on and off for it to move about 1/8th of an inch and once it is in about a foot it suddenly slides in the rest of the way. I am presuming it is overloaded. I have not had time to look at it closely but plan to lube it and check electrical connections next week. We are just back from the south and have tons of things to do at home first. Let my know if you solve yours and I'll advise you what I find.

Thanks
__________________
Snoweagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
Hi
I replied earlier that I had the same problem. I found a file on this site which is the service manual for Power Gear Electric Slide Out systems. I just downloaded it and it has some suggestions to try. You might want to look at it.
__________________
Snoweagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
bob109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 344
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvon View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site, so not sure what I'm doing, but here goes. I have a 2003 Fleetwood Excursion 38 U class A. I've been having problems with the front slide coming back in. Everytime we get set to move, I have to go out and really push against the side while my wife operates the switch. Have had it looked at several times only to find that it still doesn't want to work. Any help I can receive from someone would be greatly appreciated.
Bud Corwin,

Sorry, I forgot to put a few important facts in my post.
(1) It is electrically operated
(2) My batteries are fully charged
(3) Had a higher amp capasitor installed in controller
(4) Switched controllers to make sure it was working
(5) The slide does not require lubricating
Had the identical problem when leaving Fl. Had to have a friend push like hell on the living room slide of my 2001.5 Fleetwood Discovery 37U. The previous owner had a issue with the slide and stated it retracted slowly. Guess the motor is getting weak. My slide has the flush floor and tips up when first retracted. The batteries were fully charged and I had the diesel motor running so I doubt the problem was a lack of juice. Guess my next step is to check the amp draw on the DC motor when it's in use. Motor replacement is rather pricey so I'm hoping that it's something that needs adjustment rather than a new motor.
__________________
bob
2001.5 Fleetwood Discovery 37U 330HP Cat
Toad-2008 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Delux
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #7
RMS
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 74
Woodruff Key

This is a long shot and may not be your problem but, it happened to me on my bedroom slide.

The woodruff[sp?] key was sheared, on the motor shaft, but would extend ok. When retracting, the motor would run, and with some pushing from the outside, would assist in bringing the slide back in.

Very inexpensive fix, if you're handy.
__________________
RMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
I had a problem with my Big front slide. It would go out and then it would not come back in. You could hear the motor try to start and then nothing. Had it looked at and it was found after many looks that one of the wires in the harness behind the switch was not making a good conection. I had the white plugs cut off and had the wires hard wired together and have not had a problem since . I have a 2005 Discovery 39L.

In checking out the problem with the slide, they replaced the plug to the switch and the slide worked for two or three times and the same problem came up. After the wires were hard wired no problems for the past year.

Something for them to check---hope that it works for you.....
__________________
Bdmbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
bob109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdmbounder View Post
I had a problem with my Big front slide. It would go out and then it would not come back in. You could hear the motor try to start and then nothing. Had it looked at and it was found after many looks that one of the wires in the harness behind the switch was not making a good conection. I had the white plugs cut off and had the wires hard wired together and have not had a problem since . I have a 2005 Discovery 39L.

In checking out the problem with the slide, they replaced the plug to the switch and the slide worked for two or three times and the same problem came up. After the wires were hard wired no problems for the past year.

Something for them to check---hope that it works for you.....
Do you know if they actually soldered the wires together or did they use wire nuts to make the connections?
__________________
bob
2001.5 Fleetwood Discovery 37U 330HP Cat
Toad-2008 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Delux
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gilbert, Az
Posts: 4
Slide Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
Hi
I replied earlier that I had the same problem. I found a file on this site which is the service manual for Power Gear Electric Slide Out systems. I just downloaded it and it has some suggestions to try. You might want to look at it.
Hi Snoweagle,
Thank you for your response to my problem. Yes, I would like to see whatever help you have to offer. You can email it to me at,
bud85296@yahoo.com
Thanks again
__________________
Irvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
They used wire nuts and just eliminated the snap together plug... It has been fine so far.............
__________________
Bdmbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
bob109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdmbounder View Post
They used wire nuts and just eliminated the snap together plug... It has been fine so far.............
Thanks for the responce The first thing I'll check will be the wiring connector behind the front switch cover. In addition I'll also check the wire connector at the slide motor. It seams logical that if the motor moves the slide out without any problem it should do the same when retracting

Forgot to mention that my switches are actually keyed and will have contacts. I'll give them a shot of contact cleaner while activating the switch and see if that helps. If necessary I'll remove the plugs and solder the wires together and insulate them with liquid tape.
__________________
bob
2001.5 Fleetwood Discovery 37U 330HP Cat
Toad-2008 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Delux
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3
When in doubt read the manuals. Today I decided to take my switch apart and check the wiring connections. Then I noticed a warning below the switch. It said ensure that the Motorhome engine was running when extending or retracting the slides. I had never done that in the past so started it up, and extended and retracted the slides, no problem. It looks like the slide motor needs the extra amperage and this corrected my problem. Give it a try and see if that works for you.
Snoweagle
__________________
Snoweagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Registered User


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,198
Yea!!!!

I love a simple solution.

My Monaco is interlocked so the slides won't move when the key is on, and it sucks. No problems so far, but I always wonder when that big pass side flush slide starts to move....
__________________

__________________
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our New Ride - Fleetwood Excursion cirquegirl New Rig Show-Off! 19 12-14-2010 11:04 PM
Fleetwood Wilderness, Yukon, 24ft 2003 DianaBanana Travel Trailer Discussion 4 11-19-2010 01:22 AM
2008 Fleetwood Expedition Slideout dberthelot Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 6 07-08-2010 09:22 AM
problems with 2003 fleetwood providence Taco MH-General Discussions & Problems 5 09-22-2005 04:24 PM
Fleetwood 5th wheel slideout repair problems? slideout 5th Wheel Discussion 1 01-01-2005 07:27 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.