Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

Slideout scratching floor

New guy here from North Alabama.

Just purchased a 2003 FleetWood Discovery diesel Pusher. The main slideout has scratched the flooring rather badly. There appear to be UHMW (plastic) skid plates under the ends of the slide. We looked at several Discoverys and other Fleetwood pushers before we chose this one and none of them had any marks on the floor.

I don't see any adjustments. The thin aluminum sheet on the bottom of the slide out (above the basements which go out with the slide), is torn and has been repaired (poorly) but that is not what is making the marks.

It looks like the whole slide out needs to be a bit higher but I don't see any adjustments.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is causing this and how to go about fixing it.

Kerry Pinkerton
Pinkertonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 03:56 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
With the slide out almost all the way out, place some wooden wedges under the floor edge and drive the room up onto them but not too high to jamb it into the roof. Look under the floor of the room to see if there is a broken rollers or debris causing the damage.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:05 AM   #3

I have a 2007 Tropi Cal that the same thing has happened, except my scratches aren't too bad. My wife bought a carpet runner a year ago and I don't even think about it now. I know this doesn't help with your problem but I don't fret about it so much now, out of sight out of mind I guess.

Great question though, I'll be interested in the solution.

Robby
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #4

I have a 99 American Dream. The slide out appears to have a skid plate that it slides across. The skid plate is mounted to the floor along the outside wall. The room is low. It's not marking the floor yet but based on measurements and the outside painted decorations it has dropped 3/4-1" . I need to raise it. Has anyone ever replaced the skid? Can these things wear that much or do you think there's another issue. I already reviewed the slide out (power gear) track and it's close enough to specs. Adjusting that wouldn't place the top closer so it seals better without forcing the front onto the inside floor.

I believe the answer is to rise the entire slide back to fitting evenly inside the opening. It's sitting real low and the top gap is too great. Has anyone ever replaced that skid?? Any ideas please?
jims-99AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our slide on our Excursion was scratching the floor, we discovered it was the toe kick under the kitchen counter, we removed it and took 1/4" off of the bottom and end of problem. Hope this helps.
Droski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkertonk View Post
New guy here from North Alabama.

Just purchased a 2003 FleetWood Discovery diesel Pusher. The main slideout has scratched the flooring rather badly. There appear to be UHMW (plastic) skid plates under the ends of the slide. We looked at several Discoverys and other Fleetwood pushers before we chose this one and none of them had any marks on the floor.

I don't see any adjustments. The thin aluminum sheet on the bottom of the slide out (above the basements which go out with the slide), is torn and has been repaired (poorly) but that is not what is making the marks.

It looks like the whole slide out needs to be a bit higher but I don't see any adjustments.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is causing this and how to go about fixing it.

Kerry Pinkerton
Kerry,if you go in their (Fleetwood) top of the line Heritage and Eagles..you will see the same markings on the floor.....that goes back to their Quality Control and American and Fleetwood ot should I say....LACK OF QUALITY...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what brand of slide mechanism is in your coach (there are several), but most have some basic adjustments. If it is a rack & pinion gear type, usually there are some jam nuts at the outer edge where the slide room is bolted to the end of the gear rack. Any chance of a photo of the underside (side extended) so we can see what you have?

The fact that there have already been repairs to the underside is suspicious. It may have been poorly aligned since Day One.

I gather you have wood or tile floors, since carpet doesn't scratch. Are they original of something a previous owner did? Sometimes the remodeler doesn't pay enough attention to slide height.

Mine has rollers rather than skids, so I can't be of direct help.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #8

Really big task if you are talking about pulling the slide yourself. You will have to build something to support the slide when you pull it out and it is not light.

Unfortunately slides dropping in the opening is a somewhat common problem if the slide is no longer supported as it was when new. If you slide-out mechanism is adjusted properly, there is not a lot more you can do.

As noted earlier, on some slides there are screws, etc. that can work loose, but there is not always the cause. Sometimes the problem is structural.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr, slide, slideout