Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #1

Slideout Stabilizers

Is it a good idea when having your slides out for any length of time to put stabilizers under them? Would this help prevent some of the issues that others are having with slides getting out of alignment and or not wanting to retract?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Please NO

The slides are not strong enough to SUPPORT from beneath, they are only designed to hang there.

I really haven't heard a lot of others having issues ... even so, don't think being out is the reason, it's the long time that is the issue, things break as they get older... just ask my knees, my back, my stamina !!!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #3

Ask the manufacturer. Many say no, but mine says yes if setting up for long periods of time. Mine is a fiver, but that shouldn't make a difference.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #4

This is one if questions answered with a "definite maybe.'' Most people say don't use them because of warranty issues. I use them one our fifth wheel and it is much more stable. But, we volunteer or work for site about 8 months a year and are often in the same site for 3 months at a time. When I set up, I just run them up snug, not enough to put weight on them.

If you have a new rig, check the warranty.
halfwright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #5

No. What if the ground settles under the coach? Now the stabilizers are pushing up on the slides. Any change in the coach position will put pressure on the slides if you have a slide support.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #6

Slides are engineered to support their own weight. I have seen the terrible damage slide supports can cause from settling, wind, etc.
If you push on the side of a trailer with slide supports and watch the action of the slide, you will see it sway in/out at the top of the slide. They are not built for that stress.
I have seen them leak, get out of alignment, and even fall off.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Slides are engineered to support their own weight. I have seen the terrible damage slide supports can cause from settling, wind, etc.
If you push on the side of a trailer with slide supports and watch the action of the slide, you will see it sway in/out at the top of the slide. They are not built for that stress.
I have seen them leak, get out of alignment, and even fall off.
Absolutely Correct! Think about what would happen to a supported (artificially) slide if you were to have a slow tire leak. Or the jacks settled. Or some tuff winds. The slide would then be trying to support the weight of the RV because the RV has dropped in height above the ground, and it's not made for that.

Those slides are engineered to hang there for years and years. Note: metal does not fatigue UNLESS it is being bent numerous times. Metal does not get tired. If it did then the Empire State Building would be falling down.

Just my two cents worth...
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
NO. As noted above, picture your RV with a support under the slide, and a tire goes flat on that side.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #9

I have been full time for only 4 1/2 years and have owned RV trailers since 1989. I have never seen any damage caused by a supported slide. I have only been using slide supports for 2 years. My 36 ft Montana has landing legs and jacks on the rear, plus two tires to the side. There might be a remote possibility that would allow everything to fail and put excessive weight on a slide support. That is why I recommend that you check your warranty before using them. I use them for the added stability. All other systems try to stabilize with supports, cross bars and other gizmos in between the frame rails.

Now, I want everyone to tell me how they wish me luck and how stupid I am.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
Now, I want everyone to tell me how they wish me luck and how stupid I am.

Good luck, stupid!

Ha Ha, Couldn't resist. Never used stabilizers as I am in the crowd of believing slides are designed to be used without a need for them.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #11

Thanks, Brian!!
Got a laugh out of that!!
Old 01-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #12

I don't do it, buf I have seen travel trailers and 5th wheel with slide out supports under them.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Our manufacturer says no on the 5er. Never thought about it on the coach.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #14

Again, why not ask the manufacturer? Do you think they would know better than the average Joe? I would say they can give you better advise than what you will get here.

Tags
slide, slideout