Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

Slideout Supports - Necessary?

My most recent issue of FMCA magazine (pg 34) in the "RV Products" section was an ad for "Slide Supports" to "keep slides level and stable and to prevent damage". I have never seen them used when I have been camping. Does anyone use these? Are they necessary?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
TGR

I haven't used them on either my 5er or Moho. Both manufacturers said not to use them, so I didn't.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen them in use maybe 2-3 times in 40 years of rving. I do not and would not recomend it. If for whatever reason the coach should settle there would in all probability be damage done to the silde. Even rocking of the coach would put added stress on the slides.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Bad idea. If you have a flat, the support will keep the slide up...as the rest of the coach settles on the flat. The "RV Products" section is concerned with selling things, nothing else.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Not so good.... 2 cents.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #6

I understand the warnings against thier use but -- i'm still considering them. My wife is very suseptable to motion sickness and I'm trying everything I can to get the movement out of the coach when setup. Doesn't bother her at all on the road, I think because she can see out.
When I set up I first level close enough with ramps under the tires, then put the jacks down to raise the coach only 1/4 inch. That puts fairly equal weight on all six tires and four jacks. That makes for the best stability I can get. With three slides out there is still a slight swaying motion. Mock up with sissor jacks and boards under the slides resulted in much improvement. So - I'm wondering how big a chance there really is for the motorhome to settle enough to put real weight on the slide supports. In theory a flat tire would have no effect as the adjcent jack would carry the weight. A flat on one of the duals would have little to no effect and my TPMS would warn of either. A jack failure would only drop that one corner 1/4 of an inch or less.
Anyone have any thoughts or has anyone ever heard of actual damage being done by use of the slide jacks?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #7

I don't know if you have "auto level" on your coach, but I would let the auto level raise the coach where it has to be. Raising it only 1/4 inch is not putting much weight on the jacks. You still are sitting on the suspension. Most diesel pushers will automatically dump the air bags so the weight is on the jacks. I would try to put more weight on the jacks, and would not support the slides.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most manufacturers specifically tell you not to use them. There are a lot of things being sold for TV's that should not be sold.

Ken
Old 05-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #9

On our TT we have two slides. One is electric and the other is manual. And by manual I mean you have to actually pull it out and shove it back in by hand. No cranks or mechanisms at all. And on that slide it specifically says on a sticker attached to it to use stabilizers under the slide before using it. (it's where the head of our queen bed is located). So sometimes they are recommended. I can understand why as the electric one has pretty extensive support protruding from the undercarriage and the manual one has zilch!

As for your question though just the fact that you're doing this to help with your wife's motion sickness is very chivalrous and I would support whatever decision you made based on that alone! Lol! You know the saying "happy wife happy life" well it's true!!!
MamaKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
-- i'm still considering them.

Well stop it
Old 07-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a lot of things being sold that are not such a good idea.

If you completely block the frame of the motorhome or trailer ....basically take all of the weight off the wheels and support it like a mobile home, then I can see using the slide supports.

Ken
Old 07-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #12

There far more reasons NOT to use them of course the first is the manufacture says not to. How about you close the slide and "Opps forgot" they were there.
A wind storm in the middle of the night blows in ?
Is the place you put the support designed to take any stress ? What would you place beneath the support ?
You might want your wife to consider Dramamine and a glass of wine instead.
I too applaud your consideration for her well being
Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Before you make your decision, go to a shop that is repairing the floor of a slide and take a good look of its construction. Then decide if support will do anything to help. Or will it damage the slide?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used them on a trailer a couple times.

It didn't help with stability and added the possibility of wrecking my slide if I lowered the tongue or retracted the slide without removing it.

Tags
slideout