Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What ever is used to control your slides maybe loosing power to it.
Your transfer switch could be involved but you would also be loosing your lights that are on not sure what controls you have for slides but here are some.
Had a friend with a Bounder that had his control fall down in wall space and the
control would swing in wall cavity and short against a ground cable in wall also when walking in coach causing funny reactions to slide.
I mounted slide control to cabinet wall to clear.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #30

007, I too am suspecting some sort of power issue given information offered by OP thus far.
It's just that I've never seen a coach that allows any slide to open without the ignition key being on. So, no matter condition the simple wall switch is in, it shouldn't cause a slide to move completely in or out. In theory, the switch is dead until the ignition interlock circuit is satisfied.

Waiting on the OP for an update or more clues..
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Rkh: My slide is interlocked the other way, will not operate if the ignition is on or if any storage compartment doors are open. (those under the slide)
RBW Industries slide, electrical.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Rkh: My slide is interlocked the other way, will not operate if the ignition is on or if any storage compartment doors are open. (those under the slide)
RBW Industries slide, electrical.

That method actually makes more sense to me. I just haven't heard of it. Granted, my experience is limited to a few different class A motorhomes. I'm sure there must be variations. My current coach has a hydraulic room slide and an electric bedroom slide. The wall switches are dead unless the ignition key is on.

The OP's manual reads:

For operation of the slide-out room the following is required:
• Park the RV and level it for stationary use. • Ignition on (engine running)
• Transmission in park
• Parking brake engaged
• Slide-out key or switch activated (If equipped)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #33

Called fleetwood in IN and asked to speak to tech. She said they were busy with issues there. Gave name of 2 RV places in ME !
devlucyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #34

Wow, sorry to hear that. Guess they are not like Winnebago or Tiffin.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #35

The next time you call, try asking for a service rep.

Techs are generally focused on getting the job in front of them done. The "hands on" people.They're typically not geared for providing customer tech support....

If they balk at that idea of connecting you with a service rep, tell them you've been to your dealer and are not happy with the results of that conversation. That you'd like to talk with somebody at the factory level. If that doesn't produce, ask for the persons boss. There are people there trained and paid to provide support. You should be able to speak with them.

Last thought: Mondays and Fridays are probably their busiest.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
The next time you call, try asking for a service rep.

Techs are generally focused on getting the job in front of them done. The "hands on" people.They're typically not geared for providing customer tech support....

If they balk at that idea of connecting you with a service rep, tell them you've been to your dealer and are not happy with the results of that conversation. That you'd like to talk with somebody at the factory level. If that doesn't produce, ask for the persons boss. There are people there trained and paid to provide support. You should be able to speak with them.

Last thought: Mondays and Fridays are probably their busiest.

Agree 100%. I just returned from the service center and the techs are very busy, especially now that Fleetwood bought Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Safari, and Beaver. I have never had a problem getting a customer service rep that goes out of their way to help.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
007, I too am suspecting some sort of power issue given information offered by OP thus far.
It's just that I've never seen a coach that allows any slide to open without the ignition key being on. .
FWIW, the BR slide on our coach will extend no matter what: key Off, key ON, engine ON or OFF, and key on ACC. Retracting requires key or engine ON.

Main slide is reversed. Need key or engine ON to extend, but will retract regardless of key position.

HWH slides and Equalizer controls.

The balky slide issue that I had changed with each attempt, so it ended up being a loose wire on the switch itself.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:52 AM   #38

When speaking to Joy at Fleetwood, she gave us the names and tel numbers/even cell phone # of 2 RV
Repair and Service in Maine area. Well, neither one in business. One place the building was empty and Tel. not in service and other one tel/cell not in service!

I will call Fleetwood again and ask for service rep.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:00 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you still under warranty? Extended Service Plan? Sounds like you might need a mobile tech or take it to your dealership.

I would never thought of this before, but since you mentioned the noise under your bed it could be the transfer switch. Was at the service center last week and a MH next to me was there for a transfer switch problem. It was malfunctioning and one of the things it also affected was their slide was acting up.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #40

Where is transfer switch?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:14 PM   #41

OMG.. Bedroom slide will not close!!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #42

To be 100% straight with you (blunt, if you will), so far you have not demonstrated the kind of understanding required to deal with a problem like the one you're experiencing. Additionally, I doubt seriously that anyone is going to be able to fix this over the phone. You can keep tap dancing around this issue, or you can do what it takes to get a qualified tech out there to look at it. If you're at a loss finding one of those, very often there is a bulletin board in the campground office. I'd be surprised if there weren't at least one offering his services there?

At the very least, he should be able to retract the slide manually, allowing you to take the coach in for service.

Any other option is going to require that you be able to check/test electrical circuits to see if they are getting power with the use of a test light or multi-meter. If I've mis read this situation and you have the knowledge and equipment to do this kind of thing, my apologies. Please speak up for further assistance. There are enough people skilled in this kind of work available on this site to walk you through the trouble shooting that needs to be done to figure out what a proper course of action might be. Best of luck.

Tags
slide, slideout