Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #1

Slider Goes Half-way

Hi Everyone:

I have a 2012 Fleetwood Southwind 32V. The main salon slider has suddenly developed a condition where it only goes out halfway. It sounds normal. The connections appear to be tight. As far as I can see, there are no obstructions in the travel path. The mechanical works do not have any visible signs of damage. I leveled twice to make sure it wasn't binding. I tried it on the street in front of the house.

But it only goes out half-way. It comes back, and repeats.

Has anyone else had this condition? Any suggestions about what else to check? I was really hoping to go to Big Bear Lake over the holiday, but I don't want to risk a complete failure while I'm out.

Thanks,
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #2

Hey Mike, is it mechanical or hydraulic? Which manufacturer? Does the motor pitch change when the slide stops moving?

Old 07-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #3

Hi Bamaboy:

It's mechanical. Motor and gears. I don't know which manufacturer. There's no change in the sound of the slider. It makes the same noises as when it is at the end of the full travel, a small 'clunk' and the motor stops. We tried pushing it, to no avail.

Thanks for responding!

- Mike
Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpv1953 View Post
Hi Bamaboy:

It's mechanical. Motor and gears. I don't know which manufacturer. There's no change in the sound of the slider. It makes the same noises as when it is at the end of the full travel, a small 'clunk' and the motor stops. We tried pushing it, to no avail.

Thanks for responding!

- Mike
Does it have a limit switch that could be activating at the halfway point?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #5

Maybe a call to Fleetwood or to your dealer will help you with which manufacturer of slide you have. Their on-line help desk might give you pointers and diagnostics.

There might be an owner's manual about your slide in the big book, too. Many times they have trouble-shooting diagnostics.

I had problems with our slides and the people at Equalizer and HWH were incredibly helpful.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If its a power gear ,they respond rapidly to emails. Their address is info@powergearus.com .
Call FW to verify mfg. They have that info 800-322-8216

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

Sometimes the stop points programmed into that slide controller gets screwed up. Might want to give PG a call 1st.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #8

Slider Problem - Resolved

Hi Everyone:

First, thanks to everybody who responded to my question. I like this because it makes me learn more about this complicated machine.

That said, the problem was nothing like anyone's experiences! There's a steel tab that is connected below the slider assembly. This tab holds the cargo boxes in place on the slider. Well, there's this little metal pin that holds these two things together, and this pin had slid out "just enough" to interfere with the slider's movement.

I took the Southwind to Temecula Valley RV, and they found and addressed the problem (by pushing it back in and welding it in place) in less than two days.

So stash this one in the "Weird" file!

Thanks again, everybody.

- Mike

Tags
slide